We didn't say anything on the ride home, but classical music played quietly on the radio offering a sense of peace. The drive took longer than expected, or maybe it just felt extra long because of the searing pain I felt in several parts of my body. I had forgotten what pain was like and how long natural healing took. 

I felt the ride become rather become on the gravel driveway of the school. The car pulled into the garage and Erik helped me get out. He assisted me all the way to a bed in the medbay. After Erik left I tried to sleep, but the overwhelming pain kept me awake. I laid there exhausted and tried to distract myself from it all. I wished for the peace and calm I had felt in the afterlife. 

Eventually, I could hear someone enter the room. They came around the curtain and I saw it was Hank. His jaw dropped as he took in the wounds that littered my body. He froze at my stump and looked me in the eyes.

"He took my powers, Hank"

"Love, I'm so sorry that this happened. I'm supposed to keep you safe and I failed. This shouldn't have happened. I'm sorry Crim."

"You couldn't have stopped it, Hank. This isn't your fault, so don't you dare blame yourself."

"Can you stand? I need to clean your wounds and have a look at them all."

I stood up and grabbed onto a nearby table to support myself. I took my shirt off and Hank's expression dropped at seeing the burn marks that covered my abdomen and the bruises on my ribcage. I turned around to show him the engraving Stryker had made on my upper back. I could feel his hand lightly touch the word. I turned back around and Hank pulled me into a careful embrace. I wished I could stay there forever, but then my body did the favour of reminding me of the pain. 

Hank took a large wrap and carefully wrapped up my abdomen and lower back. He grabbed some alcohol and began to clean and bandage the cuts on my forearms. He put a small brace onto my middle finger and examined the missing nails. He placed a huge bandage all across my upper back and then guided me back to the bed. 

"What are gonna do about the hand? Does it need to be properly amputated higher up?" I asked cautiously. 

"We can keep it where it is, but I'll need to clean the cut up a bit and property cauterize everything" Hank explained. 

He grabbed some tools and grabbed onto my left forearm. He carefully unwrapped the old bandages and motioned for me to look away. I felt a needle go in and then the stump went numb. I started to smell some burning but still continued to look away. A few minutes later I felt him start to wrap it up and I looked back at it. The stump was cut a lot better now and there was no more blood. Hank got up and disappeared for a moment before coming back with several pill bottles. 

"You'll have to rest for a bit while everything heals and I'll try to work on getting your powers back. These should help with the pain."

"Bones, you seemed a little too professional, is everything alright?"

"No, nothing seems to be okay. My girlfriend was taken and tortured for several days and I told myself you would be okay because of your powers, but it turns out they were stolen away. I messed up and now you're so hurt and I'm worried."

"Hank, you guys got me back and saved me. That is what matters right now. This will all heal in due time, it'll leave some scars but I'll live. I'm still here and I still love you."

Hank helped me up and pulled me into another very careful hug. He lightly kissed my forehead and buried my head into his chest. I was home now and that was what mattered.

I glanced at my ruined shirt and decided to just leave it there. Hank helped to out the living room where all my friends were hanging out as usual. I knocked against the wall and they all turned to us. Their faces lit up for a moment before falling as they took in all the bandages and the missing hand. 

"Stryker took my powers the first day" I announced and they all looked saddened and angry. Peter sped over first and took my remaining hand in his. 

"I'm sorry," he spoke looking like he might cry. The others soon came over and had similar statements. Everyone appeared a bit teary-eyed, but only Scott, Hank, and I actually began to cry. I let out the emotions I'd been hiding away and finally allowed myself to cry. Charles and Logan soon joined the group, and Erik followed after them.

A little bit later

I carefully made my way up to my door trying to avoid motions that moved my ribcage. I was rather unsuccessful but I did get to my room; eventually. I looked at my door and saw a new nameplate by the door this one read, "Room 308, Crimson Howlett". I smiled at the sight and walked inside. I pulled my jeans off and replaced them with them pajama pants. Soon after I climbed into my bed taking in the familiar feeling I had missed so much. 

Not long after I had settled someone knocked on my door and slowly opened the door. Hank peered his head in and approached the bed.

"May I?" he asked.

"Please do," I replied before trying to pull the covers open and quickly remembering that my hand was gone. Hank pulled off his sweater and then unbuttoned and removed his shirt discarding the two onto my desk. He climbed into the bed and I curled into him in the way that caused the least amount of pain. My head rested on his chest and I fell asleep listening to the steady beat of his heart.