39: Not Out Of The Woods Yet

Start from the beginning

The thought of Derrek dying made my heart ache and suddenly, I felt like I couldn't breathe anymore. I tried to take in deep breaths but I felt like I couldn't get enough air. I felt very hot and suffocated in the waiting room. I needed to get out.

I scrambled up to my feet and ran out of the room, ignoring Tosin's calls. I headed straight to the exit. I drew in deep, long breaths as I got outside where cool breeze blew over me. It was a cool and breezy night with the half moon up in the sky and several dark clouds covering up the twinkling stars. I took a seat on the stairs leading up into the hospital and buried my head on my knees as I cried some more. I prayed some more, pleading for God to save Derrek's life. He may have been my fake fiancé but over these few weeks I'd spent with him, I'd come to care about him a lot and I couldn't have been able to bare it if he didn't survive.

*

"Miss Digiola?"

With heavy eyes which stung from crying so much, I looked up from the floor where my eyes were focused. The doctor had finally showed up after hours of waiting. I got up to my feet and crossed my arms over my chest as I braced myself for whatever he had to say. He had a blank look on his face, so, I had no idea what to expect.

"How is Derrek?" Alex spoke up before I could. I was somewhat thankful to him for doing so because I felt so weak and my throat had become sore from crying for so long. I didn't think I could speak.

"The surgery was successful but he is not out of the woods yet. We've moved him to the ICU and we're keeping him under close observation but we can't say much until we run some more tests after he wakes up." The doctor informed and a sob escaped my lips. I pursed my lips to stop myself from crying once again but my heart ached for Derrek.

"Can we see him?" Luke asked and the doctor shook his head, telling us it wasn't the best time as he was still unconscious.

"Doctor! Doctor!" Luke's mom, Angela rushed up to us. She had stepped out to stretch her legs a few minutes ago and had only returned. She stepped away with the doctor and Alex to find out more information while the rest of us stayed back.

Luke took a seat and buried his head in his hands. I suspected he had been crying again. He and Derrek seemed very close. I couldn't imagine how he must have been feeling. I felt very guilty knowing Derrek had been on his way to see me when the accident occurred. Why did he have to come to me? He should have stayed home and continued being mad at me.

Tosin excused herself to get us some drinks but I was too tired to reply her. I was also very sleepy as I had stayed up most of the night but I couldn't bring myself to sleep, not when Derrek was fighting for his life. Instead, I prayed some more. I must have fallen asleep during the prayers because the next moment I opened my eyes, it was already bright outside.

"Morning." Tosin who was hovering over me gave me a small smile.

I sat up and glanced around to see we were still in the hospital's waiting room. Some part of me had hoped the entire incident had been a nightmare but it was not. Derrek was really in an accident and he was fighting for his life.

"Is Derrek awake now?" I asked, hurrying up to my feet. I wanted to see him. I wanted to tell him to never scare me like that again and most of all, I wanted to give him a hug. I wouldn't have felt any better until then.

"Not yet." Tosin shook her head in reply.

"The doctor hasn't said anything?" I asked again and she shook her head once again.

"Luke, Alex and I are going home to shower and grab a bite. You should come with us." She offered and I shook my head in disagreement. I wasn't leaving here until I knew Derrek was alright. "You need to rest, Tiara. You need to eat as well. It's not going to get any better if you pass out."

"I can't leave him."

"He won't be alone. Luke's mom is staying back with him. She'll call us if there's any update on Derrek."

"I can't-"

"Please, Tiara. Your family must be worried about you. You disappeared without an explanation and you left your phone at home. They shouldn't suffer too, please." I gave a sigh on hearing this and gave a nod in agreement. I hadn't informed anyone of where I was going last night. My family would have been worried. With everything that had happened, I had totally forgotten to contact them.

All three of us left the hospital in Alex's car and the entire ride home was silent. Everyone was lost in their thoughts. I thought back to my fight with Derrek wishing I had acted differently. If I hadn't reacted the way I had, there would have been no need for Derrek to come over to my house and he would have been safe and sound.

I muttered goodbyes to them as I got down from the car and Tosin assured me that everything was going to be fine before they drove off. I dragged myself into the house, hoping everyone was still asleep or had perhaps gone out for the day. It was about nine in the morning and they surely had work and other things. I just wanted a few hours of quiet to rest before I returned back to the hospital, hopefully by then, Derrek would have been awake.

"Tiaraoluwa!" Came my mother's voice as soon as I walked into the house. "Where have you been? Do you know how worried we were?" She yelled as she walked up to me and that just provoked tears to fall down my face.

I began to sob and she stopped in her tracts, staring at me in confusion.

"Tiara, are you okay? What happened? Why are you crying?" She questioned as she walked up to me.

"Derrek." Was all I could say. I was exhausted both physically and mentally and it was no surprise that my legs decided to give out on me afterwards.