Luckily, your mom wasn't that much of an ass to let them touch you.

Except for that one time. But you didn't like to think about that.

Whenever she caught one of her recent lovers trying to humiliate you, or 'punish' you, or anything of the sort- she would instantly kick them out. Back onto the streets, where they belonged. You didn't trust her decisions, her judgment, or even sometimes her heart, but you did trust her love for you. She always made sure you were loved, and viewed above whoever she was with.

She was your mom, no matter how much she slipped up. No matter if she chose to ignore the signs of her condition, more so ignore to tell you.

*

It was sudden. You had been sent to sleep-away camp that summer,  -your 13th summer- which you thought was a giant waste of time. If you were home you would've known.

You could've stopped her.

But you hadn't. You couldn't. With all your brains and skills, you couldn't stop your own mother from jumping.

All you came home to was a letter. Two, actually. One addressed to you, and one addressed to your father.

You barely remember that night. That night you spent panicking, because for all your intelligence you couldn't think straight. You didn't know what to do. You were 13. You didn't have any friends, anyone to turn to. Your grandparents were all dead, your mother had died -without even saying goodbye- and you weren't about to turn to any of her 'friends'.

That night, you were the saddest you had ever been in your life.

That night, you opened the letter. The letter addressed to yourself. It was the most drunken, half-ass written, shortest letter that you would have ever expected from anyone on this matter. It was short, it was messy, it wasn't at all easy to read-

But it was your mother.

And she had written it simply, just like she always was.

'My Dearest Daughter,' it started, and you were half expecting her to say that she had cleaned your room for you. She never called you 'dear', whether she was trying to be formal or not.

'I know I've been a horrible mom. I should have never been given such a child, one as beautiful and intelligent as you. You must remember that you have done nothing wrong, and that it's all my fault. I hope you have it in your heart to forgive me, eventually. I've gone to end my mistakes.' You had searched the note, since the paragraph ended. What was she so sorry for? How could she end her mistakes? You knew she was going through some things, staying up later than she should, not eating as much.

How did you not see it?

Why couldn't you have asked, just once, if she was truly 'fine'?

Why didn't you stop her? Set up an AI to stop her? Do something besides simply ignoring it?

'Your father was a brilliant man. I never wanted you to have to meet him, although there is no choice now. He can be the parent I never could. When I met him, he was sweet and caring and so handsome. I know there is a lot of drama about him today, but I believe he still can be that man.' You hadn't considered that your mom had been in love. The way she spoke about him... It was intoxicating. But there was one more sentence. One last message, that would change your life forever.

'Your father is Tony Stark.' Shock. Pure, undistilled shock. You were a mix between your mom's beauty and your father's smarts, which made you the perfect student and perfect child. Which is why everyone at school hated you.