Chapter 13

Hello! First of all, I just want to thank all of you. The fact that we're up to 8K reads is completely beyond me, I'm so incredibly grateful to each one of you. I am very critical of my own work, so the fact that some of you seem to be enjoying the story so far warms my little heart. Thank you to the moon and back. Also, special shoutout to TikTok because that's why most of you are here! Love you! <3

Clay approached the door, George's heart accelerating rapidly, his mind filled with scenarios in which the blonde's mother despised him. He'd never met a significant other's parents before, but even if he had, Clay was so much different from any of George's previous partners. Clay was his person, perhaps he could even say soulmate. Or was that wishful thinking? 

George's body raised itself and joined Clay by the entrance to the home, the blonde interlaced their hands, dissolving a minor portion of George's nerves. Clay shot George a reassuring smile, simultaneously melting George's heart and settling some of his nominal hysteria. The door was opened and there stood the Floridian's mother, a beaming grin plastered on her face.  George couldn't help return the jubilant expression, the woman's demeanor oozed altruism and amenity, George felt instantly better. 

"George!" 

"Nice to-oh!" The woman immediately pulled the brunette into a snug bear hug.

She detached them and embraced her son as well. "It's so nice to see you both!" 

Clay invited his mother inside and the three of them sat at the dining room table. The conversation flowed easily, not at all how George envisioned moments before meeting the woman. George told her about himself and his and Clay's history, to which she burst out into numerous apologies on behalf of her son for not confessing his feelings sooner. 

She described the blonde's childhood and Clay pitched in, disagreeing about certain rebellious aspects. George marveled at their dynamic, obviously, Clay and his mom were close-he knew this not only because Clay had told him, but their similarities were undeniable. George noticed certain mannerisms that Clay must have inherited from his mother, it intrigued him. 

By the time the visit had come to a close, the three had finished their lunches and George had been filled in on various embarrassing anecdotes regarding his boyfriend's youth. 

"George, it was absolutely lovely to meet you. I can proudly say that Clay made the right choice," she eyed her son, "no matter how long it took." Clay rolled his eyes. 

George laughed, "Thank you! It was great to meet you, too!" They said their goodbyes and Clay walked his mother to her car, George collapsed onto their couch, emitting a sigh of relief. 

Clay sat beside the brunette.

"How'd I do?"

"Oh, she loves you." He smiled but his eyes didn't reciprocate any happiness.

George chuckled, somewhat confused, "Good." Clay scooted in closer to the other, examining and playing with George's fingers. 

"I don't deserve you." His voice was too honest, it lacked its normal air of affection. Too humorless. 

"I'm being serious, I still don't know why you stuck around." 

"What do you mean? Of course, I did, Clay." The blonde shook his head, his face dropping slightly. George felt a pit form in his stomach. Seeing his boyfriend sad destroyed him. But, why was he sad? Today was a good day. 

"You're too good for me." George felt the exact opposite. 

"That's not true." 

"It is, George." Definitely not.