Chapter 1

"Oh my god, George, just give up already!" Dream was screaming into his microphone and George could hear frantic clicking through the Discord channel as his friend's lime green Minecraft character sprinted through the forest. "I already won! What's the point?"

George giggled as he ran after his friend, "You cheated, you deserve to die!" They just finished a quick, impromptu Block Hunt, ending with George not being able to find emeralds, let alone craft and stand on an emerald block. The brit had somehow convinced himself that the only reason he had lost was because Dream rigged the challenge.

"How did I cheat-oh shit! I mean shoot!" George had caught up to Dream and started spam-swinging his diamond sword.

George burst out laughing, "Don't swear, I'm still streaming!" Dream narrowly evaded George once again and now had made quite a large distance between the two. "Ugh, whatever," he feigned annoyance,  "I guess you did win after all." George sighed and turned to his audience, saying his last goodbyes, and with many disapproving chats, ended the stream.

Dreamed chuckled, "That was only like an hour? How come you ended it so early?"

"Eh, I'm kinda tired. I wasn't planning on streaming today anyway," George was now just prancing around the Minecraft world aimlessly.

"Hm, ok. Do you want to stay on and talk or are you going to bed?" Dream's voice held an air of disappointment.

"I can stay on for a bit, I think." George exited the world and turned off Minecraft completely.

"Good, I've actually been meaning to talk to you about something." George could feel Dream becoming more relaxed and normal since the stream had been turned off, it was nice to hear his natural voice without all of the screaming and panic.

"What's up?" George wasn't paying full attention to the conversation.

"I wanted to talk about us, George." Mid-yawn, George's eyes snapped open, he had been waiting to have this discussion, though he never actually thought it would come.

Both Dream and George knew they were more than online friends. They had never actually put a label on their relationship, but all of the flirting, late-night calls, their overall chemistry, it wasn't just platonic banter. Dream had even admitted to George that he would never pursue a romantic relationship with anyone else out of respect for, "whatever they had," his exact words. The obvious connection between them was acknowledged while they were in private, but both of them were too scared to mention it to their friends or fans.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I guess I'm just ready to do something about whatever the fuck we're feeling. I mean, c'mon, George, you know I love you. You know this isn't just some stupid fling, for godsakes we've been friends for so long, and the whole fucking time we've known that it's more than that." Dream's words were almost a whisper, his tone intense but gentle, laced with desire and, mostly, love.

George didn't know how to reply. He loved Dream, more than he knew was possible, more than he could ever bring himself to say. Their relationship was nearly perfect in George's mind. They had crossed the friend line and ventured into new territory so long ago at this point that it felt like they had created a new type of relationship. One that wasn't defined, it was just there. Naturally. It wasn't physical, it wasn't fake, it was for them and only them. It was their online presence mixed with their purest selves without worrying about being dropped by one another. It was all virtual, but more real than anything "real life" could have offered. Or so they thought.

They didn't have to worry about being too forward or admitting too much, everything was accepted in the long run. It didn't matter, because, no matter what, they'd both be returning to that Discord call.

George didn't want things to change. He didn't want to disrupt their ideal situation.

But at the same time...

There was a constant pit in George's stomach whenever he heard Dream's voice. A bittersweet reminder that everything great between them was just temporary in their current virtual state. A small murmur in the back of his head that longed to be with Dream, his Dream, in person. To do more than just what was possible sitting in front of his computer screen. To be more than whatever they were, to be official.

He didn't want to be with Dream, he wanted to be with Clay.

George was now deep in his thoughts when Dream spoke again, "I don't know, maybe I should just enjoy what we have going on. But..."  He trailed off, sounding distant.

"But what?"

"I want more, George." George felt butterflies in his stomach and a deep blush form on his cheeks. He had wanted to hear those words come out of his friend's mouth for as long as he could remember. As wonderful and effortless as the whole online thing was, it was never enough. It couldn't satiate the overwhelming feelings and connection between him and Dream.

"I do, too."

"Really?"

"Of course, Dream." George was never the type to be super apparent with his feelings, especially love, or whatever. It felt good to be vulnerable with his counterpart.

Dream let out an audible sigh and a breathy laugh, "Good." George giggled back to him, unsure of how he was suddenly able to actually voice his emotions, but proud of himself for doing so. He was also happy that Dream made the initial effort to talk about them. They sat in comfortable silence, for a couple of moments. "George?"

"Yeah?"

"I want to talk about all of this when we're together. I want you to come and stay with me."

"In Florida, you mean?"

"Yes." He had become quieter and sounded anxious.

Without thinking, George replied, "Ok."

"What? You actually want to?"

"Um, yeah, I think so. I want to see you."

"Oh my god! When can you come?"

George laughed, this was the first time he was being completely serious about a visit to Dream. "Um, anytime really. We should do it soon."

"Wow, ok, I can't really believe you're open to this!" Dream pulled up flight availabilities and George purchased a one-way ticket for two days from now. They didn't bother planning whenever George would return. All they wanted was to be together, finally, for however long.

"I'm really excited, Dream." George had a large smile plastered on his face.

"God, me, too. I guess I'll see you in a couple of days!" He chuckled.

"Yeah, wow..."

"Bye, George."

"Bye, Dream."

The call was hung up and George leaned back into his office chair. "Oh my god, what did I just do?" He laughed at himself and got ready for sleep, prospects of meeting his best friend in real life lingering in his mind.

George settled into his bed, pulling out his phone to send Dream one final text.

Goodnight, I'll see you soon :)

Dream saw it almost instantly and his chat bubble appeared.

Goodnight baby <3

George's tired eyes widened slightly and his mouth formed a small "o" shape, quickly transitioning into a grin. Baby? Where did that come from? George didn't know, all he could tell was that being called it by Dream felt so fucking good.