Chapter 14

Chapter 14: Last Goodbyes

Percy

The flock left that afternoon.

Sam was still passed out. Max was reluctant to leave without him knowing, but she finally decided.

"Where will you go?" I asked.

"Who knows?" Max shrugged. "Might stop by if we're in the area." She must've read my expression because she added, "Don't worry about us, Percy. We'll be fine."

"Okay." My voice revealed my concern.

"Bye, everyone!" Nudge called, already flying.

Angel smiled. "It was great to meet you!" I heard her voice in my head: I'll be here if you need us.

I nodded, though it was still weird having a six year old in my head.

"See you guys!" Hi yelled, having returned from talking with Gazzy and Iggy.

Max walked over to Fang, who was talking with Annabeth. "Ready?"

Fang nodded. After saying goodbye, he and Max rose into the air.

"So what now?" Tory asked after the flock left. "Just wait until Sam gets up?"

"Well," Annabeth looked at me, "I thought I'd get a tour of Charleston with a handsome guy."

I asked, "You mean me?"

She laughed. "Come on, Seaweed Brain."

Sam

Every part of me ached. I cracked one eye open, but even that small movement hurt. Still, I forced my eyes open.

I was in the bunker. I pushed a blanket off of me. I glanced down, examining my arms and legs. Everything seemed to be working, just a little sore. There was no sign to suggest that I'd been through a fight.

I heard a bark, and Cooper pounced, knocking my newly acquired breath out of me.

"Whoa, boy." I struggled to breathe. "Yeah, I love you too."

Coop whined, eyes examining me, searching for something. I couldn't understand him, but I swear he was saying: 'Why aren't you hurt?'

"Well, Coop," I said, "they can try, but I'm not going down yet."

He yipped in agreement, then proceeded to lick my cheek affectionately.

"Bleah! Okay boy, enough."

After pushing Cooper off, I managed to stand up. Then, taking small steps, I walked out of the bunker, Cooper trotting at my side.

"Well, well," Hi said. "The zombie lives."

I rolled my eyes as Cooper lunged at Hi, growling and snarling.

Hiram's eyes widened. "Whoa, whoa, whoa!" He went down under ninety pounds of angry wolfdog.

"I gotta agree with the mutt on this one." Ben strolled up from behind me. "That was lame."

"Not to mention old," I added.

"Thanks guys," Hi groaned. "I feel the love."

"Anytime." But I whistled, and Cooper trudged away.

"How are you feeling?" Tory asked. She, Percy, Shelton, and Annabeth sat in a circle in the sand.

"Fine." I was. My joints had stopped aching, except for my stomach. "I'm hungry."

Percy grunted. "When is that unusual?"

I answered, "When it's not you that's hungry."

A chorus of "Oohs" rose from the group. Percy pouted, and I grinned in return.

"So where's the flock?" I asked after eating for what seemed like the first time in days.

Tory shifted uncomfortably. "They left while you were out."

"Okay," I replied wistfully. I didn't even get to say goodbye. "How long was I out, anyways?"

"Almost an entire day."

"Are you kidding?" I could've screamed. We could be at camp already!

Percy seemed to understand. "Sam, do you really think we would leave you here?

"No," I admitted, "but I would be fine. After all," I directed my words at Tory, "I'd get to be with my pack again."

Tory looked away.

Percy

We left later that day. Sam had a long talk with the Virals, giving Annabeth and I more than enough time to talk.

"What do you think of all this, Annabeth?"

She took a long time before answering. "It's a lot to take in."

"Yeah," I agreed. "Like the fact that Sam lied to us."

Annabeth reasoned, "He had no choice. Besides, would you have believed him?"

"No."

She nodded. "There, see? None of us would've thought this was possible."

"I know. It's just hard to believe I didn't realize anything was wrong."

"I didn't flare too often," a voice said behind me, "but I thought you would've figured something out."

I turned; Sam and the others were standing behind us. Sam looked like he was going to cry. "Are you ready?" Sam asked.

I nodded. "As ready as I'll ever be."

Tory asked, "Will we see you again?"

"I have no doubt," Annabeth replied.

Tory nodded. "Be careful out there."

"We will." But I knew she was mainly talking to Sam.

The three of us walked into the water and submerged. With Sam's help, we created an air bubble. Then we sped off towards Camp Half-Blood.