Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Saying Goodbye

Sam

"Man," I pouted. "My life is messed up." Annabeth has wings. Percy can turn into a wolf, and I have wolf powers and wings. And I just made friends with six bird kids.

Max raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

I faced her. "Yeah. I'm a son of Poseidon with freaking wings and wolf powers. If I try to fly, Zeus will blast me to oblivion."

I launched himself at an Eraser and sent it flying into another, taking them both down. "How are the others doing?"

Someone above me yelled, "Hit the dirt!"

A bomb dropped out of nowhere. I yelped and flattened myself against a tree. Max was already there.

BOOM! A minor explosion sent Erasers sailing through the air. The rest fell into a seven foot deep hole. Well, all except for one.

"High five!" Iggy and Gazzy slapped hands. So immature.

Max saw the last Eraser and gasped. "Ari?"

The Eraser 'Ari' grinned wolfishly. "Hello, Maxxy. Wanna play?"

"Wait, what?" Sam gaped. "You know this Eraser?"

Max sighed. "Yep. It's too bad I have to kick his butt again."

Ari snarled, "Not this time." Before anyone could react, he raked his claws against Percy's face. Percy, still in wolf form, tumbled to the ground. He returned to his regular form, his sea-green eyes rolled back in his head.

"Percy!" Annabeth cried out.

I was shocked. Nobody would do that and get away with it. Nobody.

I let my wolf instincts take over, launching myself at Ari. My first punch missed, and he swiped at my face. I dodged, and I kicked him in the back. He screamed, and I attacked his legs, connecting right behind the knee. He dropped to the ground. I shoulder charged his chest. Ari blacked out.

SNUP.

I fell to my knees, gasping for breath. When the pain lessened, I noticed everyone (not Iggy or Percy) staring at me.

"What?" I asked defensively.

Max broke the silence. "That was supposed to be my fight, Sam."

I couldn't believe it. "Well, excuse me," I said, sarcasm practically dripping from every word. "I'm sorry for saving your life. Please, go right on trying to kill yourself."

She looked ready to fight, but just then Annabeth sobbed, "Percy!"

I cursed. I was so easily distracted, I had forgotten about Percy. Abandoning the staring contest, I ran to his side.

He looked terrible. The blood had stopped flowing, but he was still unconscious.

"We need to get him back to camp," I said.

Annabeth gaped. "But this is California! How are we going to get there?"

I scanned our surroundings. The School? Not a chance. A forest? Not really. A cliff?

I felt an odd sensation. I could sense the ocean.

"There—" my voice cracked. "There's water."

"Really?" Gazzy asked. "How can you tell?"

"How would we get him down there?" Hazel asked.

"We could fly," Max suggested.

"NO!" I replied instantly.

She glared. "Got any better ideas?"

"I'll jump," I said, as if this was a logical answer for anyone.

"WHAT?" the flock yelled.

Annabeth shrugged. "Why not? Percy fell from the Saint Louis Arch once."

That silenced them. Way to go Annabeth, I thought. You scared them.

"It's worth a try," Fang said. He was usually so quiet; I almost forgot he was there.

Fang and Iggy grabbed Percy and flew toward the ocean. I gathered my courage and jumped. It wasn't that bad, actually.

When I had safely landed in the water, Fang and Iggy dropped Percy next to me. I used my newfound abilities to create an air bubble around us. It didn't appear above the water, which was good, because I still had another passenger. The flock came, Max and Fang carrying Annabeth.

"Thanks for everything," Annabeth said. She jumped into my air bubble.

Hazel said, "Well, I guess this is where we say goodbye."

"Wait." All eyes fell on Max. "You're not going to tell anyone, are you?"

"Chiron might believe us, but I seriously doubt it," Annabeth added.

"Well, just stay safe," Max said. Wait. Max actually cared?

I sighed. "Sure, mom." Everyone cracked up, including Max. I allowed the water to cover us. The air bubble completed above us, and we shot like a rocket to the only home I knew: Camp Half-Blood.