Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Attacked

Percy

Annabeth and I thought we could have a night all to ourselves? Yeah, that didn't work out so well.

We were sitting on the beach, holding hands. My brother, Sam, was still in the Poseidon cabin, pretending to be asleep.

"Oh!" Annabeth said. "I just remembered something!"

That didn't scare me; the fact that she had forgotten something scared me.

"What?" I asked.

She squeezed my hand. "I love you."

"I love you too, Wise Girl."

We kissed, and I could only hope Sam was actually sleeping. He had a little crush on Annabeth, but he understood that her heart is with me.

Annabeth looked over my shoulder and stiffened, a look of horror spreading on her face. The only time I've seen her look that scared was when she saw a spider. Just then, whatever it was spoke:

"Well, well. Look who's kissing."

I whirled around, immediately wishing I hadn't. In front of us stood a man, but he looked totally messed up. His face, his hair, everything about him seemed wolf-like. He even had fangs.

"Why, hello there. What are you doing away from home?" I replied.

He snarled, "You and your girlfriend are coming with me."

"I don't think so." Annabeth pulled out her knife. She slashed at his shoulder, but the knife passed through him as if he wasn't there. We stared at him, dumbstruck.

"I don't know why that happened," I said, "but you're not mortal."

The wolf man kicked Annabeth into a tree, knocking her unconscious. "Got that right."

Just then, Sam walked out from the shadows. He was about to say something when he saw the wolf thing, and proceeded to freak out. "What is that?"

Wolf man sprang at Sam and punched him in the stomach. Sam fell onto the sand, losing his breath in a giant WHOOSH. Then, the wolf creature turned to me. "If you come with me, you won't have to share their fate."

"Fine."

A black chopper appeared, and the wolf creature picked up Annabeth and Sam as if they weighed nothing. He loaded them into the helicopter, and then turned to me. The last thing I saw was a fist aimed directly for my face. Then everything went black.