37: A Gut Feeling

Start from the beginning

"I feel like I'm missing something, go through this list again", she ordered and handed me the large book, with double checks over everything.

I scanned the list AGAIN, making sure everything was there and I saw her lightly shudder her eyes as she leaned back.

"You have everything, now go to sleep, you've been working non-stop", I told her and she shook her head asking Mel to grab her a glass.

"Do you want one?", she asked and I shook my head. She poured herself a shot of whiskey and drank it fast.

"I agree with this sleep thing, I heard you up yesterday at three in the morning, listening to your wedding song for five hours straight", Mel complained and I ran through last night's events. Tyler and Avery had been practicing their first dance as husband and wife, which needed no practice at all, I could tell they were just excited.

"I can't help myself the song is beautiful", she said and went to go turn it on as Mel raced to her room with her hands over her ears.

Avery came back with the song, on low as she snaked down onto the couch.

"I'm going to miss this place", Avery spoke as she laid on the couch, and her eyes scaled the wall, over the paintings and photos.

"Me too, I fell in love here", I looked around and closed my laptop. I sat next to her on the couch, and she put her head on my lap.

"Is it bad that I want to keep both?", I asked her and she shook her head letting out an exasperated laugh.

"Not at all, you love this place, I love this place", she said and I nodded my head. I would miss this place, I fell in love with the world, with a man, with family, with the sky, with the city and most importantly myself. I learned to take care of myself again, I learned how to take care of someone else and I learned how to forgive.

"I love the other house, but this place will always be my forever home", I told her and she understood completely.

"Nolan and I when we were small, we had this little house along a little creek. It was before my father started working as a headshot executive, and this small house was the one I always loved. It was beautifully ours, and I miss it everyday". Avery spoke with such nostalgia.

"It is crazy how much we've grown up, I'm getting married in two days, oh god two days", she said and I saw the cold feet were setting in a little earlier than expected.

"Should I get the car ready?", I asked her, knowing I would be ready with the getaway car. She shook her head.

"I'm just scared what if marriage changes everything", she said and I looked down at her face and saw her worried expression.

"I promise you, if you two keep loving each other nothing will change", I told her and she snuggled up to my leg and soon enough she was fast asleep. The door bursted open and I saw Nolan and Tyler, walking to the room in their suits.

"Spend some time with her, she has a little case of cold feet", I told him and he understood as he tried moving her, without waking her up.

"I'm nervous too", Tyler said and carried Avery upstairs to the guest bedroom. Nolan took a seat next to me and I smelt a strong smell of cigarettes on him.

"Not me I swear", he said as he knew I hated smoking, all of it. It brought me back to the last time he smoked, the smell raged me, and yet he was the one who was mad.

"It was Tyler he was nervous", he explained and I kissed his lips fiercely knowing that the bitter taste wouldn't be on his tongue.