Chapter 2. I am here

After confirming the pregnancy with Kusum's gynaecologist, the couple felt like they were on top of the moon. The moment they reached their home, both of them got busy with informing their parents and close relatives about the news.

First, they called Naveen's parents on a video call, his mother congratulating them for over fifteen minutes. After talking to them for one hour, Kusum video called her parents, her mother crying on hearing her daughter being pregnant.

"Please be extra careful, beta," Kusum's mother advised. "Don't overwork yourself."

"Don't worry, Mummy ji. I will keep a close eye on her," Naveen chirped and smiled at his in-laws.

Kusum's father was asking him about his job and all when Naveen's phone buzzed, and he excused himself. Kusum grinned at her parents and teased her mother for still crying.

"Kusum, don't forget to call your father to pick you up when your seventh month ends," her mother said.

Kusum etched her eyebrows in confusion. "For what?"

Her mother slapped her forehead. "This girl. I knew you were sleeping with your eyes open when I was telling you all about our rituals."

Kusum and her father laughed as her mother explained their tradition of bringing the daughter on completing her seventh month to take care of her till the time of delivery. Kusum shook her head at her mom, who stressed each word to drill it inside Kusum's head.

"I won't be coming, Maa," Kusum stated sternly.

"But Kusum-"

"No, I won't come. Papa and you both need rest, and you want me to put pressure on you at this age when I am the one who should be taking care of you?" Kusum protested.

"Beta, it is our custom. And you think I can't look after my daughter? Don't forget I am still in the shape to drop your father in one fist." Kusum's mother laughed.

Kusum's father shot a fake glare at his wife, shaking his head in amusement. All three of them laughed for some time before Kusum's mom brought up the topic again. At the same moment, Naveen arrived, and Kusum proudly laced her right arm with his.

"My dear husband is here, no? He is enough to look after me," Kusum said, and her parents smiled at their daughter and son-in-law in delight.

"Naveen beta, you convince her, please. She is really stubborn. If we won't follow our customs, then our relatives will laugh at us," Naveen's mother-in-law reasoned.

Naveen pulled Kusum closer and nodded at her mother in understanding. "I get it, Mummy ji, but don't worry. I am here, and I won't let anything happen to your daughter."

"But with you working, how will it be possible?"

"No need to stress, Mummy ji. You guys take care of yourselves and let me know if you need anything. As for Kusum and me, we will manage."

Kusum's parents had a huge smile on their glowing faces as they heard the reassuring words from their son-in-law. Naveen always made them feel as if he was their own son, and they were happy to see their daughter living a happy married life.

Twenty minutes later, Kusum cut the call and switched on the TV to watch her favourite soap operas. For the next two weeks, they made calls and received calls revolving around Kusum's pregnancy.

One day, Rati, Kusum's colleague asked for a treat from Kusum, and coincidentally, Naveen also suggested to her wife about eating out with their friends as a way of celebrating.

Kusum agreed, and in the night, both of them spent a good time with their close friends. On returning home, Kusum felt a bit nauseous. She threw up all the food she had consumed in the restaurant, making her husband worry.