Chapter Fifty Four

Start from the beginning

"Dammit Katherine where is she?"

"really is the perfect revenge... at 10 pm Mystic falls will burn, precious Elena will burn and I'm guessing one of you Salvatores will go down with her. Should I place my bets now?" she asks, Stefan grows tired of the games and steps forward stabbing her causing her to fall to the ground after being sent back to hell. 

"well that shut her up"

"we're running out of time we have to find Elena" Stefan states 

-

Stefan and Maddie head to their old high school hoping that maybe Katherine would have found some poetry in their old memories and hidden her body somewhere in the school. However as the twins split up and begin searching as she checks each room her hope begins to fade more and more. She was beginning to think that all of this was going to be for nothing, in the end, Damon would be left with nobody, not even his love. But she knew she couldn't give up, she had to continue because if there was even the slightest chance at preserving her brother's future then she and Stefan knew they had to take it. The twins meet back up after checking all of the classrooms and begin looking together, they round a corner and gasp upon seeing Elena herself dressed in different clothes laying on the floor. They move to either side of her and Stefan picks her up bridal style, Maddie follows behind. However just before Stefan can exit the room a barrier forms blocking them from leaving with her body. Maddie runs her hands through her hair and paces behind them as Stefan continues to attempt to move forward. 

"no no no... dammit" Stefan lays Elena on the ground carefully and Maddie drops to her knees next to her friend and runs her finger through her long brown hair. She still looked the exact same as the day they last saw each other. It doesn't take long for Caroline to show and Stefan goes out to meet her as they contact Bonnie hoping for some sort of answer. However since Bonnie and Alaric had chosen to take the girls out of town for their safety their was nothing that their witchy friend could do this time. She knew that this was Kai's doing, and it hurt her heart as once again he had betrayed her and the people she loved most. It not only hurt now but it brought back every painful memory that she'd tried so hard to forget. However she chose to think that he was forced to do whatever Katherine said in order to remain on her good side and get out of hell. If that was the case then she couldn't blame him. 

"Kai spelled her in and we can't get her out, I don't know what to do I can't just leave her here" Caroline states into the phone as Stefan paces in the hallway, occasionally glancing at her to make sure nothing had changed. 

"Its not just Elena" Stefan states causing them to turn to him

"what do you mean?"

"you know Damon won't leave her here to die alone" he states, silence overcomes them and he stares at his wife sadly 

"you need to head out Caroline, take the tunnels you'll be faster" Ric responds breaking the silence, Caroline hangs up the phone and turns to her husband sadly 

"I can't believe this is happening"

"we need to talk to Damon" Stefan states gesturing to himself and his sister 

"do you think you'll convince him?"

"no but I have to try" he whispers

"I made a promise to Ric that I wouldn't risk the girls growing up without a mother, so I can help you with Damon but-" Stefan cuts her off by pulling her close and staring into her eyes, Maddie averts her gaze and focuses down on her friend hoping to give them some privacy.

"no we can do it alone, you get to safety. Family first"

"we're family now, ok. You and me and the girls just please don't make me leave you" Caroline pleads