"Well..." Alesha trailed off as she picked up one of her barbeque shrimps by the tail. She looked over at Jersey and shook her head before speaking. "You remember the detective who took you to the police station when I was with you?"

Jersey nodded her head stiffly as she thought about that embarrassing moment. She felt like her humanity had been stripped away from her when they hauled her off to the police station.

"Detective Newton?"

"Yes."

"W-what about him? Jersey stuttered, studying her friend's body language. Alesha didn't seem to be all perky and excited.

"Well, he showed up at the library." Alesha spilled, dropping her shoulders. She felt relieved to tell Jersey about it. The situation had been on her mind for days, but she felt the need to tell her in-person. Besides, Detective Newton told her not to speak on his little visit. Alesha knew it was a threat from his facial expressions and the tone of his voice.

"What? Why is he even showing up?" Jersey badgered her with questions as her eyes fluttered in confusion. "W-what did he say? What kind of questions did he ask you?"

Alesha pressed her lips together as she contemplated speaking. She looked around and placed her brown eyes on her friend. "Jersey...are you in trouble?" Alesha whispered, "Like...are you mixed up in Malcolm's illegal situation?"

Jersey shook her head and said, "What? No. I'm great, and Malcolm is legal. All of his businesses are legal."

"The detective claims Malcolm is distributing drugs all over Brooklyn," Alesha remarked. "And...he went on about the homicide that happened at his bar."

"Malcolm is not into drugs." Jersey quipped, expressing her attitude. She didn't want to get snappy with Alesha, but she was pushing a nerve. From what Jersey could understand, Malcolm didn't deal with drugs. All of his businesses were legit, and she didn't know much about the homicide at his bar. He didn't speak on it, so she didn't question him about it.

Alesha didn't say anything after Jersey made the snappy reply. Jersey pushed out some air and looked over at her friend after taking a sip of her wine.

"I didn't mean to get all peevish with you. I'm just saying that...Newton does not like Malcolm. He's trying his best to take him down. Malcolm is not into drugs, and...he's not a murderer either."

Suddenly, she felt a cold wind after claiming Malcolm wasn't a murderer. A flashback of him asking her how she wanted Quintin to be handled clouded her brain. Jersey blinked a few times as the uneasy feeling showered over her.

"Jersey, are you alright?" Alesha asked, holding a look of concern as she watched her friend blink out.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine." Jersey nodded her head. "It's probably this damn wine." She glanced over at her glass of Pinot Noir.

"What kind of questions did he ask you, again?" Jersey asked.

"He just asked me about my relationship with you and Malcolm and if I saw any unusual activity going on when being around you two."

"And what did you say?"

Alesha shrugged her shoulders and said, "I told him that you guys have nothing unusual going on."

"Okay..." Jersey nodded her head. "If he comes by again, don't tell him anything. He's just trying to find ways to hurt Malcolm."

Alesha nodded her head, but she still had questions.

▲▲▲

When Jersey arrived at her apartment, she realized Malcolm wasn't home. Paul walked her up, and as soon as she entered her domain, she went straight to the shower.