37| Hate

Chapter 37: Hate (Venus's POV)

I can't even process what happened. 

What the hell just happened? 

My dad pulled me into his study and shut the door behind us. He went and sat in his chair, letting out a breath angrily. 

I was still zoned out, trying to make sense of everything that happened. 

"Did you know that girl?" he asked. 

I snapped out of it and looked up at him while wiping my cheek with the back of my hand. I take it he's talking about Gianna. "She goes to our school, I have one or two classes with her," I answered, still sniffling. I can't quite believe that it really happened. 

"That girl went and told the Lockes that she saw you and Caden together on that night of the game, is it true?" 

Caden's words replayed in my head. 

Don't say a word to him about us. 

"We already talked about this," I said, turning around to leave. 

"Venus!" he yelled. And he never yells. 

I stopped and took a deep, shaky breath while my eyes glossed over again. "What?" I asked, blinking as a few tears fell while I turned to look at him. 

"You knew you were meant to stay away from him, didn't you?" 

"Yes," I huffed. 

"And you still didn't listen to me?" 

"I did listen, dad! For eighteen years. It just happened, what do you want me to do?" I groaned. 

"It wouldn't have happened if you kept your distance!" 

"I couldn't keep my distance anymore! I liked him, I was attracted to him!" I snapped. 

He stared at me, doubt swirling in his eyes. 

"I'm in love with him," I stated. And then I turned to leave before he started questioning me and I told him things I'm not supposed to. Things that Caden should be here to talk about with me. 

"Venus, get back here!" 

I didn't listen. I opened the door and slipped through it, closing it shut behind me. 

I was heading up to my room when my mother called me. "Venus," she sighed, sounding a little sorry. A lot more like she pitied me. 

"Tell me, mom, does he know you're friends with Mrs. Juniper. Would he react the same way if he found out?" 

She sighed, giving me a sorry look. 

I rolled my eyes, fresh tears still rolling down my cheeks while I ran upstairs and into my room, locking the door shut behind me. I don't want to talk to anyone right now. No one but Caden. 

I don't know how long I spent just lying in bed and crying. A part of me believes, and really wants to believe that everything will be okay. That when Caden gets here tonight, we'll be able to explain to my dad and convince him to let us be together. But then a part of me knows how seriously he takes this hateful feud between our family and Caden's. And I know that even if Caden leaves his family, my dad may not accept him because ultimately, his blood is still of a Locke. 

There was a soft knock on my door. 

I looked at the clock, realizing it was 7 PM. 

"Vee?" I heard Clarissa's voice. I got out of bed and opened the door, looking down at her. "Aren't you coming for dinner?" she asked.