35| Token

Chapter 35: Token (Venus's POV)

It was now the next morning. Saturday morning. Seven in the morning and I'm up early, answering my phone, still half asleep. "Hello?" I asked, ignoring my scratchy throat and hoarse voice. 

"Morning," he sang. 

"Good morning. Even though I'm going back to sleep after this. What happened, Caden?" I asked, pulling the cord a little further and rolling over, holding the phone to my ear. 

"What time do your parents leave?" he asked. 

"Mm," I mumbled, thinking about it. "By nine, I think." 

"I'll be there at ten, okay?" 

"Okay," I sang. "I'll see you then." 

"Bye, I love you," he said. "And sorry I woke you up." 

"That's okay," I chuckled. "Bye, I love you too," I said, keeping my eyes closed. I heard the dial tone instead of his voice and then rolled back over, putting the phone away. And then I dozed right off.

I woke up at nine-thirty after that and when I went downstairs I found out that my parents had already left. I sat in the kitchen and had some french toast that Mrs. Betty made and then headed to the living room where I found Clarissa sprawled across the floor, lying on her stomach. 

"What are you doing?" I chuckled, going on and sitting beside her. 

"Making bracelets," she answered while threading a pink bead through the elastic string. 

I opened my mouth to ask her who she's making them for but then I got an idea. "Who are you making these for?" I asked anyway while grabbing the elastic and putting it around my wrist, measuring. 

"Myself, duh," she scoffed. "Except for Maddie, nobody talks to me," she frowned. 

I lay on my stomach beside her while knotting one end of the string so the beads won't fall out the other end. "Why not?" I asked as I started threading beads through. Some light pink stars and iridescent white pearls. 

"Everybody likes Axel more than me. And you know what, so do I!" she groaned. 

"Hmm," I pretended to think. "Well, if you like him then why don't you become friends with him too?" I asked. 

"Because mommy said I have to stay away from him." 

"Well, didn't mom also say the same thing to me about Caden?" I turned to look at her. "You don't hate Axel, I don't want you to act like you do, Clarissa. It's school. No one will tell mom and dad. And if they do, then I'll help you." 

"You will?" She perked up, grinning at me widely. 

"Of course! Axel is very nice." 

"Just like Caden, huh?" she teased. 

I rolled my eyes while smiling and continued making the bracelet. Then I finished and knotted it off, tying the two ends together. 

"Oh, that's pretty," she giggled, elbowing me. 

I grabbed more string and measured my wrist again but made this one bigger. 

"Who is that for? Remy?" she frowned in confusion. 

"It's not for Remy," I chuckled. 

"Oh, for Caden," she stated. 

"How did you know?" I asked, glancing at her while picking up a purple star. 

"Who else do you talk to?" she scoffed. 

I pushed her away and she laughed, picking up a pink star.