Fly Straight into a Hurricane

Website: ArchiveOfOurOwn
Credit: kei

Summary: Shiro is hurt on a mission and Keith feels like it's all his fault, that he's not worthy to pilot the red Lion

Summary: Shiro is hurt on a mission and Keith feels like it's all his fault, that he's not worthy to pilot the red Lion. Lance has to take it upon himself to dissuade him of that notion.

Top: shiro, lance
Bottom: Keith, lance

“I’m so stupid!” Keith slammed his fist into the wall. “Stupid, stupid, stupid!” He managed to get a few more punches in before Lance slid in front of him, arms spread wide.

“What the hell, Keith? Stop!” Lance’s blue eyes were wide, concern written all over his expressive face.

But Keith couldn’t stop, not when he felt so...helpless. He turned and picked up a chair, throwing it, the slam of metal against the floor jarring in the usually peaceful castle. “Shit!”

Lance reached out to him, fingers brushing gently against his shoulder. “What’s wrong, Keith? Why are you so wound up?”

Keith shrugged the touch off angrily, shoulders hunched as he fumed. “How can I not be!” His hands clenched into tight fists. “I’m not good enough to pilot a Lion. I’m not good enough to be part of Voltron!”

Lance hit him like a freight train, barrelling into him at full speed as he tackled him to the ground. The breath was knocked out of Keith, his mouth opening as he gasped for air. Lance’s hands gripped his biceps, digging in hard enough to bruise. “Shut up! You’re the red paladin! You’re one of us!”

Keith’s face went stone hard as he gathered his energy and flipped them so he was on top, pinning Lance to the ground with hands on his shoulders. “You don’t understand,” he growled.

“Alright, I get it. You just want to force me to admit that you’re the best pilot out of any of us.” Lance’s hands came up to grip Keith’s wrists. “You’re the best damn pilot I’ve ever seen, Keith. Don’t ever doubt that.” Lance huffed. “Don’t ever make me admit that again, okay? I don’t think my pride can take it.”

“If I’m so good, then why did Shiro get hurt!” Keith ground out, pain in his voice.

“That had nothing to do with you, Keith,” Lance said, mouth a thin line.

“If I had dodged faster, or if I had taken out that canon sooner…”

“Listen to me, Keith. There was nothing you could do.” Lance felt wound up tight, Keith’s tension bleeding over into him. “Sometimes some of us get hurt; it happens. Look at what happened to me when Sendak attacked the castle; nobody could have done anything to stop that.”

Keith shut his eyes tight, then opened them to look at the prone form on the bed. Shiro had been laid out there after being given a mild tranquilizer so Coran could work on him; he had refused the healing pod, his eyes haunted at the thought of being trapped inside. Shiro was a belligerent patient and he got what he wanted. Coran had given him stitches for the gash in his forehead, his ribs were bruised but not broken, and his left arm was in a sling to keep him from moving it too much after Coran had got his dislocated bone back in its socket. “It’s all my fault…”