Chapter 30: White Flag

Start from the beginning

He didn't think she had the courage to go through with it. Well, it was time for Jacob Hurst to understand that he didn't always know what people were thinking or feeling. Without breaking eye contact, she began unbuttoning his black trousers, and she caught a flicker of uncertainty in his eyes. Good. Flicking open the last button, she pulled on the garment, but couldn't get it off while he was sitting. She raised an eyebrow in question, and he lifted himself off the chair enough to allow her to pull the trousers down his legs.

Like before, she ran her hands up along his thighs, this time rasping his bare skin lightly with her nails. When she neared his crotch, he gripped the armrests tighter, and a surge of power rushed through her at the sight. She had this effect on him. He might be a notorious rake with much more experience, but right now, she was in control. Feeling slightly wicked, she only barely grazed his arousal with her knuckles before moving her hands back down his thighs, rewarding her with a low growl.

The next time her hands reached him, she finally traced the length of his hardness with her fingers. His eyes burned brightly, but he made no move to stop her. With a teasing smile, she grasped him fully, and he sucked in his breath. She loved having him at her mercy. This was more power than she'd ever had over him before.

Finally breaking eye contact, she bent her head and took him in her mouth, eliciting a deep groan. His hands buried in her hair, untying it from the braid and twining it around his fingers. She took her time pleasuring him, finding out what he enjoyed. He gently guided her with his hands in her hair, and when she did something he particularly liked, he moaned, the hoarse sound sending a jolt of excitement through her.

It was somewhat disappointing when he placed his hands on her shoulders and gently pushed her away. Had she done something wrong? Before she could voice her concern, he stood and pulled her up to face him. Lifting a hand, he traced her bottom lip with the pad of his thumb and she parted her lips to exhale slowly, unsure of the next step. When his mouth replaced the thumb, the gentleness of the kiss astonished her. With his hands back in her hair, angling her head, he kissed her slowly, deeply, stoking the fire within with every stroke of his tongue. Languid heat spread through her, filling every limb and converging at the juncture of her thighs.

When she moved restlessly against him, he stepped away and she immediately missed his touch. She yelped in surprise as he swept an arm over his desk, clearing it of everything on it, filling the floor with papers, quills and bottles of ink. The glass of brandy hit the floor with a dull clonk and rolled away to finally stop against the foot of a bookcase.

He placed his hands around her waist and they felt hot even through the fabric of her nightgown. A moment later he lifted her up on the desk, seating her on the edge and pushing her nightgown up along her legs enough to accommodate him between her parted knees. His mouth captured hers in a searing kiss and she could feel his hardness pressed against her, but he made no move to take her, only rubbed against her teasingly, his movements echoing those of his deep kisses.

Lifting his hands, he untied the front of her nightgown and with a light tug it fell to her waist, freeing her arms and chest. The cool air caressed her skin, and as Jacob admired her quietly, her nipples hardened, yearning for his touch. When he didn't immediately make a move, she took the opportunity to undo the last of the buttons on his shirt, giving her access to run her hands along the hard planes of his chest. His skin was feverishly hot against her fingertips, despite the night temperature of the room.

Growing impatient, she pressed her bare chest against his, seeking his lips for a kiss. With a groan, he obliged, possessing her mouth with growing intensity. She shifted restlessly on the desk, wanting more than his kisses. A lot more. As if he could read her mind, he lay her down on the smooth surface with her legs still hanging off the edge. Still standing, he lightly ran his palms over her chest, sweeping over her breasts, only just barely touching them, chasing gooseflesh over her skin. When he finally bent down to capture a nipple between his teeth, she moaned loudly, her back arching off the desk.