Chapter 22

Morgan pov

I don't leave Ron's house that night. The two of us stay in his house and watch TV until it's time for Ron to open the bar. I go down with him for a few hours, but eventually staying up all night the night before catches up to me. I head up to his apartment to sleep. He told me I could stay in his guest room for the night so I wasn't walking home in the dark alone.

In the morning, I wake up before anyone has texted me, so I haven't missed anything during the night. It's only six a.m. and for whatever reason my body has decided to wake me up already. I roll out of the bed and walk into the living room of Ron's apartment. He's sitting at the bar in the kitchen with a bowl of cereal.

"Good morning," I say. He looks up from his bowl.

"Morning," He yawns.

"Tired?"

"Very." He yawns again. I chuckle a little and sit on the stool next to his. "How'd you sleep?"

"Fine, thanks. Thanks for letting me stay here."

"Any time." He gets up and puts his bowl in the sink, then turns and leans on the counter. He opens his mouth to speak right when my phone starts ringing.

"Hello?" I answer Angelo.

"I need you at the mafia house within the next half hour. I have a plan for getting Cady back confirmed."

"I'm on my way." Angelo hangs up and I say to Ron, "I have to get to the mafia house. Angelo has a plan to get Cady back."

"I'll drive you over." He grabs his keys and is to the door when I remember I'm still in the clothes I wore yesterday.

"Ron, do you have any of your sister's clothes here?" I glance out the window and see the trees blowing harshly in the wind. "And a hoodie?"

"Yeah." Ron rushes into the guest room and comes back with a pair of sweat pants, and then into his own room and comes back out with a sweatshirt. "I don't have any of her hoodies, but you can use one of mine, if you don't mind."

"Thanks. If you want to head down, I'll be down there in a minute."

Ron nods and heads out the door. I go into the guest room and change into the clothes. Then I rush down the stairs to Ron's car. I climb in and he heads out of the parking lot and onto the street. It's a Monday morning and the rush of people going to work jams up the roads. Ron and I sit in the car listening to the quiet hum of the radio as we make the short drive over to the mafia house. When we get there, I quickly climb out, Ron following close behind. I open the door to find at least thirty people milling around the entry way and living room. At the center of it all is Angelo, standing behind a card table covered in papers and drawings, as well as multiple laptops. The men milling around seem to be waiting for him to say something. I hear the door open again behind me and Ally walks in. She comes to stand beside me while Leandro, who must have given her a ride, makes his way through the crowd to Angelo.

Thirty people may not seem like a lot, until they're all crammed in one small space, and impatiently waiting for the same thing. I feel my shoulder get hit and a man, hardly older than me, leans down to say, "The women are all in the kitchen. I don't know who you're with, but you should probably be in there. Angelo wouldn't want you here."

I'm about to defend myself and Ally, when Antonio walks up next to us. He gives a small slap to the back of the guys head. "They're with us. Now leave them be," Antonio's voice is dark and commanding. The boy rushes off back into the crowd. "Come on girls, Angelo wants to talk to you first." He leads us over to the table, pushing his way through people, and Ally and I following behind him. I look over my shoulder to try and find Ron, but he seems to have disappeared. I turn back to see Ally standing next to Leandro, his head leaning down to hear her talking. I stay next to Antonio.