Did i make a mistake?

(Wills POV; right after break up)

"We were a mistake. I cant do this anymore. Have a nice life. You and your new little boyfriend.
I'm going home. Goodbye Mike."

As soon as i walk away, tears start streaming down my face.

I just keep walking, not looking back at Mike once, even though I want to terribly.

I walk for miles. First for 10 minutes. Then for 30 minutes.

Quickly, those minutes turn to hours, and I can see the sun starting to set.

I'm walking on the side of a rode when I see a sign.

'NEAREST TOWN: 1 MILE.'

"Finally!" I groan. "My legs are on fire!"

"Hopefully they have a pay phone at the gas station so I can call mom or Jonathan."

I go into the store and see a small red pay phone on the wall.

"Yes!" I whisper in delight.

I feel around in my pocket for some change.

"Shit!" I say, maybe a little too loud, because the woman behind the counter says,

"Language, young man!" The woman says, In a strong yet sweet country accent.

"Sorry, I- I just need a phone to get back to Hawkins, Indiana, and I forgot that I ran out of change."

"Hawkins, huh?" The woman starts. "What are you doing all the way out here."

"Oh, I was just visiting my b- My friend...but we got in a big argument so I left."

"You and your boyfriend broke up, huh." The woman says, and my heart drops.

A, because it's the 80's aren't entirely...accepting of gay people, and B, because I'm reminded that Mike and I are broken up.

"Uhhhh..." I say, not knowing what to say.

"Brings me back. Me and Gloria, that's my partner, broke up 3 times in high school."

My heart is happy. Finally someone who's not homophobic, not to mention not straight.

"Really?" I say, half smiling.

"Oh ya! But each time we realized that we were meant for each other." she says with a warm expression on her face.

"Hey, can i ask you a question?" I ask.

"Shoot." she replies.

"Ok so, he...cheated on me, but he said it didn't mean anything and I broke up with him... Say, did i make a mistake?"

"I mean, He did cheat on you, but you said you live in hawkins, ain't that right?"

"Ya, that's right." I respond.

"Well, he could've been lonely and maybe thought you weren't in love with him anymore. Now, that's no excuse for cheating, and if you don't think you can forgive him, I advise that you move on, But, If you really love him, Just follow your heart and get him back, that's what I did with Gloria."