Chapter 4: Mia Taylor

I turned around and stared at the big atrium. Nurses and doctors pacing around, patients with visitors talking in the couches around, people going to gift shops buying something for their loved ones, a couple going out of the hospital with two baby girls in their hands.... The hospital always fascinated me. Don't ask why it's a weird thing about me.

As I turned around a man and a woman stood there. There were only about 10 people in the atrium. I guess nowadays people don't actually care about college applications. I clutched my back pack strips and moved forward. At this moment I saw Charlotte staring at me. I rolled my eyes at her and looked at the man and woman.

The man had round eyes which looked bigger with his glasses on. He was a tall man and he wore a red clown nose on his tall nose. He was wearing a checked shirt and brown trousers together with a black leather belt. He was fiddling with his fingers and tapping his feet. He was nervous.

The woman on the other hand was cheerful and bubbly. She had brown curly hair and a pink band with a bow on her head. She was chubby and wore a flowery dress with red ballerina shoes. All that was left of her to do was tap her shoes and say 'there's no place like home' and she'll be the next Dorothy from Wizard of Oz.

"Welcome young students of River High and Rosewall High." the woman said cheerfully as she turned her head to look at all of us.

"Thank you for joining us today in this project. It means a lot to the patients here that spend most of their time alone. Let me introduce us. I am Mrs. Emma Smith and this is my partner Mr. William Johnson. So all of you please line up. We will give you a schedule with a list of patients in here and their rooms. We will also give you a clown nose. Let's go and make some kids happy." Emma rejoiced as all the students filed up in line

I was one of the first to get a list and the red, shiny, round nose was handed to me. I went towards the stairs (fun fact about me I have a phobia with elevators so I try to avoid them), and I hurried over to the person I was going to meet. I looked down at my clipboard full of names. I got my index finger and brushed my finger on the paper to check the first name and there it was typed. 

"Mia Taylor, room 35, yellow ward" I muttered to myself as I kept climbing the stairs

When I arrived at the yellow ward, I put my red nose on and looked for room 35. At last I found it. On the door there was written 'MIA' in block, glittery letters and a bunch of letters from her friends and family. I slowly opened the door to find a teenage girl laying on her hospital bag, looking at the hospital window. She had short dark hair with pink lights and when she turned around to see me she rolled her eyes and turned her eyesight to the window again.

"Look if you're one of those clown thingies that come here every week just go away ok? Many people have come and gone and I'm still the sick Mia Taylor who's not happy about her life. So please stop wasting your time and go play with bunnies or something."

"Oh no I think you misread me." I told her as I closed the door and moved closer "No I came here because your mother sent me and told me you needed a make over." Yes I know I am lying but I had to do something. I took out the in-case-of-emergency kit make up thing that Brooke gave me for my birthday. I could see Mia looking at me with bright eyes as she stood up and I gave her the kit.

Mia opened up the kit and started applying make up on her and I couldn't help but ask "Sorry to ask but what brings you around these parts?"

"So I was at school and during my literature class I had this excruciating pain in my side. I went to the bathroom and called my dad. I told the teacher that I wasn't feeling well so they took me to this waiting room waiting for my dad to come. He took me straight to the hospital, me screaming with pain, and when they admitted me to a room they told me I needed a kidney transplant asap. I didn't want my dad to do it cause what if he has the same as me? So then a couple of hours later, the nurse came in and told me that someone had just came in to help me. I thought probably it was someone from school. After my surgery, I had a knock on my door and a young man entered. He told me he was the donor and I gave him my number and I just want to go out with him you know but I'm scared of telling him how I feel."

"Well I think you should go on and tell him how you feel before some bitch steals him and then you can't have him." And I  was the one talking. The one who couldn't even speak up. We swapped places and I started putting make up on her. 

"Yeah you're probably right. But I'm gonna be so left out and out of place when I finally return back to school. I mean no one can relate to me not even you. It feels so sad you know I can't even talk to you about the nurses here and stuff." she looked down and wasn't in her high spirits anymore.

"You know I spent time in the hospital but I don't really like talking about it. I remember one nurse came to give me my dinner and I was watching this scary ass movie. That day it was carnival and all nurses dressed as clowns and when a nurse walked in with my dinner, I got so scared that I threw a book at her."

We both started laughing and after a while I told her I had to go. As I went for the door I looked back to say goodbye.

"So you are a clown after all?" she smiled as she continued to eat her chocolate pudding.

I held a finger to my lips and walked out.