Chapter one-Introduction

^^^^ that's Christine Valentine.^^^^
Christine's pov
Hi I'm Christine. I'm 13 years old. I know I look young for my age but whatever. I get that a lot. My favorite color is sky blue. My favorite food is bacon. My favorite song is thinking out loud by Ed Sheeran. I don't really like school even though I work hard and get straight A's. I am a waitress at the dark mountain cafés. I've been working there since I was 12. The weird thing is that I love my job. I know what weirdo would love being a waitress? Well I do. Mostly because it keeps me busy. I just love taking orders, bringing food. And most of all, I love it when I'm kind to people and they thank me. My mom passed away when I was five. She died in a fire. People always say that she died saving me but I don't remember any of it. My dad is a big shot lawyer so he's never around. I have no other siblings so the other staff at the cafés are basically my closest family. I don't have friends. Not that I'm hated or anything, I just never really fit in. So yeah being a waitress is basically the best thing i have. But enough about me.
Present day
Smoke. Everywhere. Can't breathe. Too hot. There were flames all around me and smoke stuffed down my throat. "Mom!" I called. "Mommy!" Just then a woman came bursting through the smoke. "Christine! It's okay! Mommies got you!" She then picked me up and ran. I think we went down stairs. The door was so close. Crash. The corking fell and I was thrown. My arm. Hot. I get up. "Mommy!" I called. I see a figure under a huge beam. I run to her. "Go Christine! Save yourself! I'll be right out! I love you Christine! GO!" She screamed and I ran as fast as I could out of the house to my dad. I turned back and waited for her. No one came. Crash. The whole building came down. "Mommy no! I'm sorry mommy!"
I opened my eyes. It was still dark in my little room. I checked the alarm clock that hadn't gone off. It read 7:00. I usually get up at 8:00 on Saturdays because I start my long shift at 9:00. It was freezing because it was October in Maine and I forgot to turn the heat on last night. I was wide awake now anyways so I dragged myself out of bed and went into the bathroom. I took a shower and got dressed. I wore old ripped blue jeans, a white t-shirt, and blue converse. I pulled my hair into a ponytail and went downstairs and found a note on the table. "Had to be at court early! Be back around 9:00! Love you sweetie! -Dad" I threw the note in the trash. "Figures." I said to myself. I made cereal and ate by myself in the kitchen. I went upstairs and packed my shoulder bag. I threw in my phone, which I never used, a book, some cash, and some other stuff. By the time I was ready it was 8:30. I ran downstairs and grabbed my bag, jacket, and penny board and went outside. I started riding to work. The neighbors saw me and waved. I waved back. They said things like. "Hey Christine! Off to work again?" I would reply. "I love to serve!" And I would keep riding. As I neared the café I saw a shiny red car heading towards town. It was kind of unusual because most cars around here were either old or covered in dirt, most likely both. It stopped at a light and the window was down. There was a boy and the minuet he saw me our eyes locked and I forgot I was on a moving board and I crashed into a tree in the corner. My stuff sprawled across the ground and the car pulled away. I started k gather my stuff. "Child I told you, you would hurt yourself on that rolling death trap." A voice said from above me. I looked up. "Oh hey mrs. Clark." I said. She knelt down and helped me gather my stuff. I had known her since I was a little girl. These days she was in her 70's. I finished getting my stuff. "Thanks. How are you?" I said. "I'm fine thank you. My child, you are the kindest soul I ever met. Your going to change the world with that kindness." She said. "Thank you, but with all due respect, a girl from Maine isn't going to change anything." I said. "I think you will see your wrong. But you better hurry along now. Your gonna be late!" I smiled and continues my ride. Funny how I didn't even need to tell her where I was going but everyone already knew. I got to the café and ran inside. I ran past the counter with the owner, mrs. Johnson behind it. "In a the years you've worked here, you've never been late once." Mrs. Johnson said. "You know what they say about early birds!" I said as I put my green apron on. "Yeah well did you ever hear about the earlier cat?" She joked. I rolled my eyes and got to work. A family came in with a little boy who looked about four. I walked over to them. "Hi. Welcome to the dark mountain café! Table for three?" I asked. "Yes. Do you still serve breakfast?" The woman said. "Of course! We serve whatever at all hours! Right this way!" I said and brought them to a set table with two menus. "And a coloring paper and crayons for the little dude!" I said and he smiled at me. They ordered drinks and I brought them. "And a chocolate milk with a bendy color changing straw." I gave it to the boy. "So are you ready to order?" I asked. The woman spoke. "I think. I'll have the sunny side up eggs with bacon and toast. An my husband will have the same. What do you want chase?" She asked the boy. He made a face. "I wanna go to Burger King!" He whined. I knelt down next to him. "Well does Burger King have chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream?" I asked. He looked at me and smiled. "So i take that as a no they don't. In that case one order of pancakes with extra whipped cream coming up." I wrote it all down and brought it to the kitchen. "Hey Joey make sure you put a lot of whipped cream on the pancakes!" I said to the chef. When it was ready k brought it out and the boys eyes gleamed with excitement as I set the massive pancakes buried in whipped cream in front of him. Later on when they were finishing up I came to clear their plates. "But mom I want desert!" The boy cried. "But you just had breakfast!" The mother said. The boy started crying so j went to get the bill and grabbed a fudge brownie and ice cream and brought them out to the boy. "Here you go little buddy. On the house!" I said. The boy immediately stopped crying and started to shove his face in the desert. "Thank you. You are a life saver!" The woman said. "It's my pleasure!" I said. They thanked me an left. As I was clearing the table I saw the very generous tip they left for me. "How are you so good with everyone? Adults, kids you name it! Christine pleases them all!" Mrs. Johnson said. I laughed and finished clearing the table. That's pretty much how most days went. But today was different. Today our paths just happen to cross.