Prying Ears and Eyes

Mallow Marsh is now under construction, or I guess marsh-truction? I left for a whole week to make sure the town gets my full attention. It was also a good distraction from the other problem that kept trying to keep up in my mind.

Emiliza has been keeping my mind occupied since she arrived back in Underland, but this time it's not in a helpful way. I don't know what to make of her telling me about Knave. I don't want to believe a second of it. I have been hopeful for Knave to become the man I gained feelings for, all those years ago. I don't want to give up that hope now. If it is true, then I was hopeful for no reason. And I don't want that.

I don't mean to sound selfish, which I am far from, but I want one good thing in my life. One hope that falls through.

As I arrive to my castle, everyone greets me with kind smiles. I love the people of Marmoreal. They all have similar kindness to others as I do. I smile at all of them until I come to my sister. Iracebeth looks nervous and that makes my smile fall. "Racey, everything alright?"

Iracebeth nods her head then looks around for peering eyes or ears. "Come with me," She whispers then pulls me into the nearby library. She pushes me to enter the room then shuts and locks the door behind us.

This is making me nervous now. Iracebeth never acts like this and most definitely doesn't care about what others say. Unless it has to do about... well... her head.

I talk to her cautiously, "What is it Racey?"

Iracebeth straightens her back and rolls her shoulders back. This reminds me of when I sent her away to the Outlands. How she became so tight and looked totally defenseless. Like she had nothing else to do, but listen to the sentence I gave her because she knew she was out of options. That just makes me more worried. "Mirana, I need to tell you something."

I step closer and promise her, "Anything."

"It's true." I tilt my head to the side. "About Knave." Oh. "I-I told him to make you fall for him. I wanted him to convince you to bring the sword to Horunvendush day, and... I wanted him to break your heart."

I just stare at her. I'm completely frozen in my spot because I have no words. "I'm so sorry Mirana. You must believe me when I say it was a different time in our lives."

I swallow my tears threatening to come out and nod my head. "I forgive you, Racey."

I try my best to smile, but it fails. I've forgive Iracebeth because she's my sister, but she's just taken the hope I've held so dearly for so long.

How could he do this?

How could someone be so evil they can just break a heart so easily?

Iracebeth must of left because when I looked up, she was gone. I was alone in the library trapped with my thoughts. My heart is no longer beating to the sound of his name. My hand is no longer going to wave into a mirror to see him. Knave can live in that prison and stay there.

That night the tears finally fell. When I finally had time to process the realizations, and see all the pain I caused for this one person. The one person that I didn't even get a chance to love. I cried into my pillow and screamed as loud as I could. No one could hear me here. I didn't have to worry about prying ears or eyes.

I didn't cry for Knave at that moment though. For an hour, yes, but I easily got over it when I remembered Emiliza. My best friend. The one person that's always promised to put my safety first. Yes, I have my guards and the people of Underland to love me, but Emiliza has always been there. Even before I had the crown on my head.

And I didn't believe her.

I didn't believe my best friend. The friend that's never once lied to me, not even when she was full of darkness. I choose the person I hoped to love one day instead of the person I care so much about.

Why didn't she tell me? Was she trying to preserve my feelings for him? That wouldn't make sense. I saw her face that day, she hated Knave. She hated that I cared for him the way I do... but why?

Why go through all this trouble, for preserving my feelings, for someone she hates? I need to talk to Emiliza. I first need to apologize, but I also want to know the answers to these question. I also just need my best friend. I need a proper shoulder to cry on.

Even if that shoulder is currently disappointed in me.