Chapter 5: A Change

His daughter was the spitting image of him, Hvitserk noted as he starred down at the girl named Ida, her small hand wrapped up in her mother’s one.

Ida, a little girl with light brown hair, braided into two French braids, and green eyes returned his gaze curious and her teeth blitzed through as she smiled at him.

Something in Hvitserk snapped and he made on big step towards Katya and wrapped her in his Arms, a feeling of comfort washed over both of them.

“She waited a long time for you.” Katya voiced in his neck and her hands found his face, gently wiping away his tears, her own eyes overflowed with happy tears.
“She’s so beautiful, our little girl” Hvitserk laughed and more tears rolled down his cheeks.

Hvitserk kneeled down and hugged his daughter firmly, careful not to press too hard, worried that he’d crush her.

“It’s so good to meet you little one, I waited a long time to meet you.”
Little arms wrapped hesitantly around his neck and Hvitserk could feel that Ida had buried her Head in his chest, she accepted him and relief washed over him.

The three people hadn’t noticed that Alfred was standing in the door ready to fetch them because Igor wanted to hear everything that had happened in the last six years.

Alfred was smiling when he saw the little Family happy reunited and knew better than to disturb this peaceful bonding moment between them.

But before he could silently sneak away, Katya saw him standing in the door.
“King Alfred, were you searching for us?”
“Indeed, but I didn’t want to disturb you, Igor wants us all in the dining hall, Lady.”

“Then let us go, don’t you think Ida?” Hvitserk was now standing with Ida on his left hand and looked expectant in the Round of people.

A small smile tugged at Katya’s lips and she layed a hand on his arm, “We’ll talk later, now let’s go eat.”

And so they left the throne room, Ida had her hand tugged safely in his big one, and got to the dining hall where a big meal was being served.

As he helped the struggling Ida with her meat he could sense Katya staring at him.
He looked at her and could see in her gaze that she was surprised and maybe also a bit sad seeing him with their daughter.

They definitely had to talk later on, he reminded himself, and wanted to grab her hand under the table but didn’t.

Ida, completely oblivious to her parents inner struggles, munched her food happily and happily let her daddy fill her plate up again.

“If my son back home would be a big eater as you are my wife wouldn’t always be so worried.” Hvitserk laughingly said to Ida and suddenly the room, except the King and his wife, went silent.

“Your…Son” Katya said, a look of sadness crossed her face and she threw him a glance he couldn’t and maybe shouldn’t interpret.

“Yes, my son, Edmund, he’s three and my wife, Mildred.” He said to everyone his eyes never leaving Katya, studying her expressions.

“Is it true Hvitserk that your expecting another baby this summer?” Elsewith asked from behind her glass of wine, his old name leaving her lips naturally.

“Yes that’s true, Lady Elsewith…” he knew about her own escapades with his brother and was never really one to like the lady Elsewith, she just rubbed him wrong, but he supposed she already knew because, when he was close with Alfred, why couldn’t his wife be close to Alfred’s wife.

“Oh Hvitserk that’s wonderful, you and your family should come visit us when your child is there.” Snatching him out of his train of thoughts, Igor had stood up and hugged the expecting father.

“Yes Hvitserk, it would be lovely to meet your son and wife” Katya said from behind him and he could hear the silent jealous tone in her voice.
Sighing inwardly Hvitserk set himself back onto his seat and wanted this to be over so they could talk in peace, just the two of them.

“It’s getting late. Tomorrow is a big day and we all should be well rested.” As if Alfred had heard his prayers he announced his retread to his chambers, not before throwing a telling look at Hvitserk and a sweet smile to Ida

It was late when he knocked at Katya's door and he felt himself transported back, to the night before their leave, but this time he wasn't greeted with passionate kisses but with ugly tears.

He should be used to see her in tears, since he had seen her cry very often, when he stayed in Kiev for the first time but every time it clenched his heart and he wanted to wrap her in his arms and protect her from the world outside.

"I'm sorry you had to find out this way."
Hvitserk said silently, guilt nagging him since he knew they had been unresolved feelings on both sides.

"It's not that I am not happy for you, of course I am, but a little part of me hoped you would come back to us, even when I told you to go!" Katya sobbed, her face tear stained and her gaze sincere laced with guilt, she practically yelled the last words at him.

He didn't really know what to do, his wife rarely yelled and she only had a breakdown once when she was pregnant, so he was a bit hesitant towards yelling emotional women.

He got a halt on her arms, his eyes warm sparking a feeling of comfort, searched for her eyes and pulled her into a hug.

"You don't have to explain, I'm also sorry." Hvitserk shushed calming words into her ear, kissing her hair and forehead.

This action calmed the princess down, face in Hvitserk's hands, he leaned down to kiss her.
Expecting to feel his lips on her she was a little bit disappointed that he kissed her tears away and whisperd into her ear.
"I love my wife, Katya and I don't plan to do something we both will regret tomorrow."

Now, Katya smiled sad "I understand that it's just that, you know, seeing you with Ida made me sad and emotional about what could have been."

Sighing Hvitserk answered:" You know Ivar would have killed me if he knew about both of us and that his daughter is not his, again."
The last part made both of them giggle and the atmosphere relaxed.

He kissed Katya on her forehead wispered against it: "I should go, tomorrow will be Igor's crowning and the day after will be long so we both should get some sleep."

Hvitserk was half out of the door when suddenly a female hand stopped him.
"Stay...please"

He did.