Chapter 4: Reunions

6 years, 6 years had gone by since Ivar had died on the battlefield.

Hvitserk, now Athelstan, could remember this day crystal clear, he died a hero and would feast with his parents and the gods in Valhalla.

Hvitserk didn’t believe that anymore, and everyone who had asked “why?” had always heard the same answer.
“I was lost, and he saved me.”
And it was true, he was lost and frustrated after the battle, where his fate and gods had led him, but his baptism had given him a direction, had lulled him from the cold streets into the warm, welcoming house of God.

His life had gone in the right direction from there on, he was married to a beautiful wife and had a little son back in Wessex

He was one of Alfred’s closest advisers, taught his youngest son Edward and ruled a small part of Wessex. He was truly happy even when he knew nobody from his family would understand his decision and he would never see them again.

Tomorrow would-be Igor’s coronation and the King had asked him to accompany his Family to Kiev knowing that Ivar and him where in Kiev a long time ago.

Ivar would be beaming if he could see Igor all grown up now, and Hvitserk knew that somewhere Ivar was watching and would probably beat the shit out of him if he hadn't agreed to the offer.

So, he had agreed to accompany the Family, anticipated to see Igor again and Hvitserk couldn’t lie to himself Katya and his child. Hell, he didn’t even know if Katya still lived in Kiev or if his child had survived his first year.

Riding into the city of Kiev was stunning, the same atmosphere as when he lived here all those years ago.
People where cleaning the streets and hung garlands from windows to windows. A cheerful atmosphere hung in the air.

Welcomed by a servant, the little group finally arrived at the castle and where guided directly into the throne room.

They were greeted by a beaming and matured Igor, he had grown taller and muscular, Hvitserk noticed.
“King Alfred, Elsewith, what a pleasure to welcome you in beautiful Kiev!”

Igor exclaimed and roamed his eyes over his guests, his eyes stopped at Hvitserk, almost as if he didn't regionized him and just imagined something.

So, Hvitserk nodded a confirmative little nod at Igor and seconds later he was embraced in a big hug.
“Hvitserk its so good to see you again it has been too long” Igor laughed happily.

He hugged him back and swallowed a lump in his throat. His thoughts wandered back to Ivar, he should be embraced by Igor now not him, was his own relationship with the prince not so close as his brothers relationship with Igor was.

Hvitserk pushed it down and stepped slightly away from Igor to muster him.
“You look great Igor. A real man!”
“…and soon a king.” a voice brought him back from his admiring to the throne room they were in.

Katya, Hvitserk thought and a woman strolled into the room, not much younger than him.
Her black long her was curled, a smile graced her face and her eyes twinkled promised that she was happy to see him again.

“Hvitserk, you remember Katya?”
“O-Of course, how could I forget, nice to see you Katya, you did not change a bit.” Hvitserk almost stumbled on his answer to Igor and smiled a heartful smile to the woman standing in the Door.

Before she could answer something, Igor turned back to Alfred, which he had almost forgotten about, and told a servant to bring them to their room.

Could I borrow Hvitserk for a moment King Alfred?” Katya asked and stopped the moving group ready to move into their chambers.

“Of course, you both will have a lot to talk about.” a knowing smile tugged at Alfred lips, had Athelstan told him everything a long time ago, so he knew what that reunion was about.

The door closed with a soft thud and now Katya stood in front of him. "I knew that I would see you again Hvitserk, I even prayed to God for it" she layed her hands on his arms and then the door to the throne room opened and a small figure was lead into the room.

"I think it's time that you meet someone Hvitserk, this is your daughter, Ida."