Chapter 2: Celebration, Snow and Tears

Hvitserk and Katya discuss the future of their baby

The Celebration of King Oleg’s Death were in full swing, also celebrating Prince Igor’s win over his barbaric Uncle.

In this room full of vibrant cheerfulness, everyone except two people, were at ease.
Hvitserk roamed his tired eyes over the partying people and brought his, not so alcoholic, drink to his lips.
His green eyes caught the blue Eyes of Katya and he could sense that she was nervous.
He brought himself to smile at her, the same reassuring smile she smiled, but after all his smile did not reach his eyes.

Hvitserk’s Mind wandered, to the night a week ago.

The night she told him she was pregnant with his child, a child that should not exist and would bring death to both should the real paternity come to light.

After both had soothed out their emotional roller coaster of emotions they had decided to sit down, to talk about the future of their baby.

“Ivar can never know that the child is not his, Hvitserk it would kill him” she said to him, her voice full of sadness.
“And both of us first” he chuckled darkly knowing full well, that his brother would not hesitate to finally fulfill his promise to kill him, if he ever came to know of the betrayal they had made.

He looked up at Katya his eyes slowly filling with tears, tears for his Child, a bastard, one that would grow up fatherless, because his parents had made a terrible mistake.
His hands began to tremble, and tears started to fall out of his eyes, his sobs were loud and erratic.

Instantly, Katya kneeled before him, his face in her gentle hands and feathery touches on his cheeks, which he identified as her lips, kissing away his tears.

“Hvitserk don’t cry, everything will solve out, I promise you!” she begged him, her voice sounded tearful as well, and suddenly her lips touched his.

Looking back, he knew that she just did this to calm him down, but he still could feel her lips on his in this stuffy room full of people.

She was now standing with Ivar, the father, of his child and talked to him.
He didn’t know what she wanted to tell him but when he could see how Ivar’s eyes grew big, he knew what just had happened. She had told him that he was going to be a father, a father to a child which wasn’t his own, again.

A single mourning tear rolled down Hvitserks cheek, he allowed it to happen.

He excused himself shortly after Dirs cheerful invitation to drink and now stood outside of the huge castle, looking in the sky with snowflakes falling softly, in his hair and beard.

“He didn’t say anything to me about the child, and he doesn’t want to stay here, I know that as well as he does himself.” a soft voice brought him back and a soft shiver ran down his spine because of the cold.

He turned to his left and saw Katya standing there, eyes on him and a soft smile on her lips.
This time Hvitserks smile did met his eyes and he drew her in for a long hug, kissing her hair lightly.
“Everything will work out” he mumbled in her hair and this time he knew it would.