"Yeah, the Giant Squid often makes an appearance though," said Ron cheerfully as he swaggered into view. He was being followed by a group of small shaking first years who looked both amazed and horrified at the idea of a Giant Squid lurking in the lake. To be fair, Jessica was almost exhibiting the same level of fear.

"A GIANT SQUID?" Jessica gasped, "You never mentioned a giant bloody squid, Hermione!"

"Bit dramatic," Ron mumbled under his breath.

"Jess it's harmless," Hermione sighed as the train creaked and slowed down its pace. Street lamps glided past the train door windows providing light to the inside passengers, and an old rustic station started coming into view. A large red sign read 'HOGSMEAD STATION'.

"Oh yeah before you go, Hagrid is the giant with the bushy black beard," said Ron, and he stroked his chin as he and his group of first-years joined her and Hermione by the door, "In case you couldn't pick him out of the crowd."

"Thanks, Ron," Jessica replied sarcastically, "wouldn't have known how to spot a giant if you hadn't mentioned the beard."

The train came to a halt and Hermione opened the train door to lead everyone out to the platform. The crisp night air hit Jessica instantly as she stepped out onto the concrete, the cold country breeze being a welcome change from the stuffy carriage compartments she had been in for the last six hours. She looked across to her right to see other prefects opening the doors to their carriages, hundreds of students dressed in their Hogwarts robes pouring out of them. The station was completely isolated by forest trees, so the only sound audible was the buzzing of young excitement and joy.

"First Years over to me!" boomed a voice that shook the children just as much as the surrounding trees. Jessica turned and her eyes widened at the sight of the enormous man standing just a few yards away from her and Hermione. From the description so kindly provided to her by Ron just a few moments prior, she deduced that this was indeed Hagrid the half-giant. He was over 8 feet tall, bushy-haired, and rough-faced, and was carrying a large lantern that illuminated his fur coat. The Weasleys, Harry, and Hermione had spoken so highly of Hagrid the past couple of weeks that Jessica was so excited to meet him.

Harry caught up as he exited the carriage and he immediately dragged Jessica up to Hagrid to introduce them. Hagrid was, if possible, more intimidating up close. Her head was only level with the middle of his stomach. Hagrid beamed as he looked down upon Harry and he gave him a pat on the back that knocked him off of his heels, "A'right Harry? Good to see ya".

"G-good to see you too Hagrid," spluttered Harry as he regained his balance, "this is Jess by the way, she's coming into our year but I think she still has to go with you for the sorting - put in a good word and make sure she's in Gryffindor won't you."

A part of Jessica believed Harry loved having someone around who was newer than him at this.

Hagrid's dark kind eyes landed on Jessica and he gave her a warm and welcoming smile. "O'course! Dumbledore's told me all about you, nice to meet ya." Hagrid greeted her and he stuck out a large basketball-sized hand. Jessica shook his hand and she smiled through the pain of her bones being crushed.

"Nice to meet you too! What did Dumbledore say about me exactly?"

"Only that we've got a bright young witch joinin' us and we got to look out for her comin' in," said Hagrid, "it's hard being new, but you can come and see me anytime - any friend of Harry's is a friend o'mine."

"Oh, thanks, yeah I might take you up on that offer," Jessica replied. Be friends with Hagrid, but don't eat the rock cakes, that had been the advice that Harry had given her.