Tags

"Corinne?" With a quick wipe of her eyes, Corinne O'Neal smacked on a bright smile and turned to face the call of her name.

"Yeah?"

"It's time to go, sweetheart." Linda Porter smiled softly, her own outfit a sea of darkness. Corinne passed a comforting hand over the wavy texture of her bun for the millionth time that day before joining the woman in the hallway.

"Doesn't feel real." Linda mumbled once they'd been seated in the large black SUV.

Unsure of what to say, Corinne grabbed the older woman's hand and laid her head against her shoulder. Silent tears raced down her cheeks and her chest filled with a burning depression.

"I'm burying my own son today. He wasn't even 30." Her voice cracked as she grabbed Corinne's hand tighter.

Silence filled the car as the two comforted one another with shared tears and hallow stomachs. The ride to the funeral took no more than 20 minutes. Cars filled the parking lot and Corinne could see the familiar military trucks lining the street.

Corinne pulled herself together before smoothing down the material of her black, pencil skirt. The matching black blouse and dark makeup gave her a put together look despite her feeling like she'd been cast into outer space.

"Thank you." She spoke to one of the uniformed men holding the church doors open. Corinne held Linda close as they moved through the large space to take their seats at the front.

Her eyes immediately moved to the large portrait of Dean framed next to where the casket would be placed. There was a large podium that sat just in front of that space.

Corinne could only stare at the photo, wishing he would jump from the frame to tell her this was some sick joke. As seconds passed, her hope faded and the ache in her chest deepened. It felt as if someone had ripped her heart from her chest.

"He's such a handsome man." Linda spoke as she too stared at the portrait. "You two always looked so good together."

The mention of their love made Corinne bite the inside of her cheek to keep from sobbing once again.

"I told him he should have married you sooner." Linda smiled sadly.

"We both know he was a knucklehead who'd procrastinate his own funeral if he could." Corinne laughed at the memory.

"At least we know it'll get done on time now." Linda spit the dark joke giving Corinne a bit of light through the darkness.

The two shared an embrace as they softly chuckled. Corinne was always thankful for the bond she shared with Linda and had been hoping to solidify it with the title of mother-in-law. The two quieted down as music filled the church signaling the beginning of the funeral.
...

"And I'll never forget Dean Porter's bravery and his sacrifice. Rest In Peace, man." The soldier wiped his eyes before hustling down the steps back to his seat.

"Now, finally, a word from Corinne O'Neal who was Dean's girlfriend. Corinne." The pastor spoke before stepping down to help Corinne.

As she climbed the stairs, she took a deep breath to prepare herself. Hundreds of eyes turned upon her in sorrow.

"Good morning." She smiled softly.

"I've known Dean since we were in elementary school- the little boy with the spiky hair and silver teeth." Turning to face Linda, Corinne found comfort in the woman's sad smile.