"What're you so mad about?" asked Wilbur. "Already regretting your decision?"

Before Cynthia got the chance to disagree, Tommy piped up loudly. "You're serious? After..." he paused for a second, "a few weeks, you finally decided to ask her, Will."

"Actually," he clarified, "she asked me. Cynthia beat me to it."

"Wait, wait, wait—" Tommy sputtered, "—you're joking."

Cynthia shook her head, "One hundred percent serious."

"Jeez," he said, laughing, "you know she's gonna hold that against you for...well, ever, now. Right, Will?"

Wilbur sighed and nodded. "Very aware, you don't have to remind me."

As Tommy and Wilbur chatted for a few minutes, catching up as if they didn't speak last night, Cynthia half-listened to their conversation and busied herself with her thoughts, thinking about how she and Will were finally together after who knows how long of wandering and daydreaming.

"Cynthia?" asked Tommy. "Earth to Cynthia?"

"Oh—" she blinked twice. "Yes, hello?"

"Mum's calling," he explained, "so I'll see you later. You two can have your...moment," he added, "I guess."

Cynthia rolled her eyes but said her goodbyes, Wilbur following. "Well then," he said, "are we gonna have our moment?"

She snorted, asking, "What does that even mean?"

"I'm... not sure," Wilbur admitted, a smile on his face.

They sat in comfortable silence for a minute or two before Cynthia spoke again. "Do you want me to visit again?"

Wilbur hesitated. "Yes and no? I want you to visit but wouldn't it be a hassle to come over here? Plus, you come here all the time and—"

"It's not a big deal," interrupted Cynthia. "Promise."

"Are you sure?"

Cynthia nodded. "Very."

"Y'know," Wilbur added, "it would be easier if you lived here."

She chuckled and shrugged. "You're right but—" Cynthia paused, "—I'm not sure what Daisy would say."

"It could still happen."

"It would," she agreed. "Maybe."

!

"FINALLY!" DAISY CHEERED. "Took you two long enough."

Cynthia chuckled and rubbed the back of her neck. "You act as if it didn't take you almost two months to ask Felix out."

Her roommate flipped her off before turning to the cupboards, grabbing a bottle of wine. "How about," Daisy suggested, smiling, "we have a little party?"

"Alright," agreed Cynthia, getting up from her chair and grabbing two wine glasses. "It can't hurt to have some fun."

After a few minutes of talking to Wilbur, Cynthia left and shared the news with Daisy—who was beyond happy. They sat in their living room, Hamilton playing on the TV. Daisy poured herself and Cynthia a glass before sitting down on the couch next to her.

"What did Felix say about you moving?" asked Cynthia, glancing at Daisy.

The Welsh girl shrugged. "He said we can make it work. I mean, look at you and Wilbur."

Cynthia took a sip from her glass before setting it down, fully turning to Daisy. "That's because he only lives in Brighton. Daisy, you're going to Wales."

"And?" she asked, avoiding eye contact with her friend. "We'll figure it out. Seriously."

She gave her friend a concerned look before sighing and leaning back into the couch. "If you say so, Daisy. If something bad happens," Cynthia looked skyward, "don't complain to me."

Take A Break played and Cynthia cringed. "Say No to This is next," she grumbled.

"Hate that song," Daisy said, "hate Maria."

"Agreed."

!

IT WAS AROUND midnight when Daisy called it and said goodnight before turning and heading upstairs. They brought the glasses and plates to the kitchen, and Cynthia sat on one of the island chairs.

She let out a sharp breath before shutting off the light and jogging upstairs. After changing into more comfortable clothes and brushing her teeth, she fell back into her bed. Cynthia wrapped herself in a blanket and turned off her bedside lamp.

The darkness seemed to stare back at her and she looked blankly up at her ceiling. "There it is," she whispered into the dark, "the happy ending."

— author's note!
this isn't the last chapter :]

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.