Chapter 25 - The Fourth Generation of Avengers

Bruce and Valkyrie walked hand-in-hand to the small Avenger's get-together at Tony's house. "You think it might be weird if Megan isn't there?" Bruce shrugged, "I don't know, angry girl." Valkyrie smirked at the nickname, it had kind of stuck. "I think you need to focus on the more awkward part." Valkyrie leaned in to Bruce, "Oh yeah, what's that?" "That my ex will be there." The warrior shook her head and stormed off, leaving a discombobulated Bruce behind, "I thought that would be funny." He mumbled to himself.

Walking in, the gathering was somewhat muted, conversation was happening, but barely. "So... I heard you guys got engaged." Natasha spoke to make light conversation with Sharon, who nodded. "Yeah..." "To Darcy and Helen, right?" "Yup." Natasha nodded, she looked down at her drink as she watched it swivel different colours. "This is more painful than the dinner with Shahid. Remember?" Brooklyn asked Alex as she leaned into his body. Alex stiffly nodded, he wrapped his arms around Brooklyn tighter, "That bastard."

Brooklyn laid a gentle hand on his cheek as she forced him to look into her eyes, "Hey, he's gone. We're... we're alright." Alex nodded, but his body was still rigid and so Brooklyn pressed her lips to his, she pulled back and was immediately pulled in again by Alex's mesmerizing eyes and strong hands.

Vanessa puffed her cheeks out then in, just for fun, she was beyond bored. Staring across the room, she made eye-contact with her 10-year-old cousin, Magda, who seemed just as stupefied with the party as her. She smiled and then motioned upwards and Magda, giggling ran upstairs, with Vanessa, Morgan, Nathaniel, Maeve, and Rhea following them upstairs. Rain watched them flee upstairs, she chuckled. "Remember when we would sneak upstairs?" She asked Peter and he nodded, smiling, "Well... actually, I would be down here with the adults." "Same shit."

Rain drowned back her drink and Peter's eyes widened, "Damn..." "I'm 18, shut up. I can do whatever I want." Peter smirked, his hands hot on Rain's hips, "Is that so?" He asked, his lips travelling over her neck and leaving goosebumps behind. "You know I'm thinking-" "Oh yeah? Thinking what?" "It's almost been, what... half-a-year of us dating..." Rain mumbled softly. Peter smirked, his lips leaving hot trails behind on Rain's skin, "And?" "And I'm 18..." "And?" "And... take a hint, Parker." Peter laughed under his breath as he kissed Rain on the cheek sweetly, "If you want to tonight... then I guess we can."

Rain smiled, turning around to face him, "I think I do want to..."

***

Cassie stood in her bathroom, her hands shaking as she stared down at the pink plus sign. "Fuck!" She cursed. She ran her hands through her hair, feeling her heartbeat speed up. She looked back at the three other tests she had taken, all turning out to be positive. At 20 years old, she was pregnant, something she never expected to be... and she knew her father was going to kill her and James and Cooper.

***

"YOU SON OF A BITCH." Steve opened the door to Scott pounding on it, "Um... can I ask why?" "Get out of my way, Rogers." Steve crossed his arms over his chest and stood fast at the doorway. Scott remembered a time when he admired those muscles, feared those muscles, but right now in his rage he couldn't think straight at all. "Scott, calm down. Let's talk about whatever is bothering you." "You wanna know? Huh?" Scott asked aggressively and Steve nodded his head seriously, "Yes..."

Scott pushed past him into the house and pacing the length of the compound's living area. Natasha, bleary-eyed and in one of Steve's large shirts walked down the stairs, looking over at Scott, "Oh hey. What's all the noise for?" Scott snarled, he pointed at Steve, "His son... his son got my daughter all knocked up." Steve's brows shot up to his hairline, "Excuse me?" Scott nodded, "Yeah. Cassie took like 4 tests... all turning out to be positive and last I checked she's only been with 2 people, either James or Cooper. According to the tests Helen ran... James is the father of the baby."

Steve sighed shakily, he dropped down to the couch, "I'm gonna be a grandpa?" He mumbled to himself. "JAMES WILSON ROGERS!" Natasha yelled and the boy came running down the stairs into the room where his "Ma" and Uncle Scott were staring angrily at him and his father seemed to be in some sort of shock. "Uh... hey guys? What's up?" Scott pounded past Natasha to slam James against the wall, his fist raised as if to punch him and then he controlled himself, gently lowering it, but nevertheless remaining his hold on James.

"Uh... Uncle Scott, as much as I appreciate your nearness to me, it's getting a lil' too close." Scott backed away from the young man as he smoothed down his shirt. "What's happening? Someone cares to venture an explanation?" Natasha sighed, "You've made us into grandparents, kid." James blinked, "What?" "Have you and Cassie been fucking? Don't lie to me, boy." James looked at his Uncle Scott and although he was uncomfortable answering the question, he nodded just slightly, "Yeah... but we were safe, always."

"Clearly not safe enough, since she's pregnant!" James balked, "She's what?" "She's pregnant." Steve muttered shakily. James ran to the door, slipping on his boots, "Where is she?" He asked and Scott blinked, "At home, but we aren't done this conversation-" "SDon't care, she needs me right now. I'll be damned if I'm not there to support her in every minute of this." The young man fled out and closed the door behind him. Scott looked over at Steve, just a hint of pride showing on his expression.

James ran to Cassie's with no regard to the biting wind that left his bare legs frozen in the plain boxers he wore. He pounded up the stairs, past James Paxton who was glowering at him and into Cassie's room, she sat hunched over her bed, sobbing. "I don't want to talk about it, Daddy. Drop it." James smiled slightly, closing the door behind him, "You know, you calling me daddy is what's gotten us here in the first place." Cassie glanced up and James saw her tear-rimmed eyes and red cheeks.

"Hey." She sniffled, "Hey." James smiled softly. He sat on the floor in front of Cassie, placing his hand on her flat stomach, he gave it a quick kiss. "So... there's a little us growing in there?" She smiled, pursing her lips, "yeah." "You want to keep it?" "What do you think I should do?" James shrugged, "I hardly know, it's your body and your decision." Cassie sighed, "It's your baby too, James." "I want to keep it... I'll be a committed dad Cass. But I also know how painful childbirth is, so decide. Can your body take that much stress?"

"You promise to be here every step of the way?" James nodded, "I will definitely be there and if Cooper wants, than him as well." Cassie sighed, smiling. "Ok." "Ok, what?" "Let's have this baby." James reached up and kissed her passionately, Cassie responding in fervour. "I love you." He whispered and Cassie's eyes went wide, "That's the first time you've said that to me." James stilled, how could he be such an idiot. "Um... uh-" "I love you too." James blinked, "Are you serious or are you fucking with me to get me back for getting you pregnant?" Cassie smirked, "I'm serious, J. I love you too."