Chapter 9 - Star Spangled Man with a Plan

Natasha leaned against Megan's door, in the, give or take, two years that had passed Megan had gone through different stages of grieving. From going on murderous rampages to sobbing uncontrollably to turning into a stone. She looked over at her wife now, who hummed softly while she braided back Margaret's hair, "Who's strong and brave, here to save the American Way? Who vows to fight like a man for what's right night and day? Who will campaign door-to-door for America? Carry the flag shore to shore for America. From Hoboken to Spokane. The Star Spangled Man with a Plan!" Natasha smiled as she heard Megan softly sing, Margaret swayed her small body along with the tune.

"We can't ignore there's a threat and a war we must win. Who'll hang a noose on the goose-stepping goons from Berlin? Who will indeed lead the call for America? Who'll rise or fall, give his all for America? Who's here to prove that we can? The Star Spangled Man with a Plan!" Megan smiled for the first time in nearly two years as Margaret pumped her small fists, getting excited, "Stalwart and steady and true," "See how this guy can shoot, we tell ya, there's no substitute!" Margaret sang in her little voice and Megan chuckled.

"Forceful and ready to defend the Red, White, and Blue! Who'll give the Axis the sack and is smart as a fox?" Margaret cleared her throat and sang beautifully, "Far as an eagle will soar" "Who's making Adolf afraid to step out of his box?" "He knows what we're fighting for!" Both mother and daughter stared at each other and began to sing out melodically and gorgeously, "Who waked the giant that napped in America? We know it's no one but Captain America. Who'll finish what they began? Who'll kick the Krauts to Japan? The Star Spangled Man with a Plan! Who's strong and brave, here to save the American way?!" They ended and looked at each other, eyes glimmering and smiles on their faces.

Margaret sighed as she looked into the mirror, "I wish daddy was here to hear me sing." Megan pursed her lips and smoothed back her daughters hair, "I know honey, I wish daddy was here with us too. He would've loved you so much, kept you like a princess, would've carried you around the house on his shoulders and given you rides on his back." Megan's eyes glazed over as if she was remembering those memories when Steve did that with Brooklyn and Rain.

A single tear rolled down her cheek and she coughed, clearing her throat, looking at her three-year-old daughter she waved her off. "Go play with Vanessa, ok? Don't you be sad!" Margaret threw her arms around Megan and hugged her tightly, "I won't Mama! I promise I'll make you happy." Megan smiled at the little girl, she was the female version of Steve, "You already do, love." She looked into her daughter's green, blue eyes and her blonde hair and she saw Steve in her, a small part of him that remained in Megan's world.

Margaret fled downstairs, past Natasha, greeting her hastily, "Hi Aunt Nat, bye Aunt Nat." Natasha chuckled at the little girl and slowly walked inside the room, perching on the edge of Megan's bed. "Hey Nat." "Hey." That was the most Megan had said to her in two years that wasn't regarding Thanos. "Meg... we have to move past this, accept the fact that they're not coming back." Megan nodded, looking down into her lap, "I know Nat, I know." "I... I think I might know a way, but you might not like it." Megan looked up at her and Natasha saw something in Megan's eyes that she had rarely seen before, desperation. "Anything Nat, I'm willing to try anything. I can't take more of this pain, it's eating me alive."

Natasha nodded, she knew the feeling, "We're married, I'm your wife and I'm here for you." Megan nodded solemnly, her gaze lowering again. "We should... try to build our own family. Keep Steve and Bucky's memories alive by constantly talking about them with our children... let's have a baby Meg." Megan looked at Natasha and gulped, "Nat, there's usually a man part that;s involved in the baby making process." Natasha chuckled, "Wade agreed." Megan nodded, "Ok..." "Ok?" "Yeah, I mean if it helps us move past this then... yeah, ok, let's have a baby."