🌙27| It continues

Running from one city to another, I had to keep changing hospitals so as to hide from him. It was difficult to keep up with Clara and her studies. I know how important it was for her to settle at one spot and get to know her friends better. But I couldn't give that to her.

Living was better than being exposed to that maniac. Even though I didn't know whether Catherine was alive, I tried to get detectives to search for her. As a result, I had to move when Clara turned six. I still remember the miserable look in her eyes as I dragged her away.

After meeting the detective a week later, I moved to the city he mentioned to look for her. But het trace totally disappeared when I got there. It's been sixteen years trying to keep Clara safe. I didn't allow her to go to any functions for fear she might bump into him. But one night when she left for a party, I felt restless. She returned panting as if she was being chased by someone.

I could feel Ian's presence as he was tracking her. Unable to watch him trace our house, I locked her up and went out to confuse his detective skill. If I don't return, please. Clara, stay safe," Max read out before closing the book at the end.

"He killed my grandma and dad?" I debated getting up angrily. Remembering a few years back, I always asked for my grandparents but all she told me was excuses. "Calm down," Max accentuated holding my hand.

I shook my head staring at him in agony. "No! He took everything away from me. He killed my mom, dad, Amy Sparks, Kate, and aunt Janessa. He also killed your parents. I can't calm down!"

Hearing my latter sentence, his fingers loosened their grip on my hand. Dropping my hand after raising his head, I blinked my eyes and folded my lips. He wasn't supposed to find out about this now, but my big mouth revealed everything.

He raised his eyes sitting properly awestruck. Stammering in between his words, I pursed my lips and sighed. "I wasn't supposed to say that now-"

"-W-what did you just say?" he stammered. I covered my mouth with my hand which was bent down to my neck, looking around aimlessly. "I didn't want you to find out like this," I muttered running my hand through my hair.

I noticed he didn't want to let this slide. Sighing again, I moved back to my bag and pulled out a newspaper from it. "Here. This was about seventeen years ago," I explained handing it to him. He stared at me for a moment swallowing a lump in his throat.

"You need to read it yourself," I added. Smiling lightly, I took a seat beside him. He stared at me cluelessly hesitating to open the newspaper. When the doctor walked in, we both turned around surprised by his presence. "What? He's awake?!"

Biting my lips, I watched him as he walked up to him and passed his hand over his face. "How many fingers do you see?" Responding with complete silence, he picked up a torch light from his pocket and glared inti his eyes, one at a time.

"Everything's alright. I still have to run some tests to make sure you're alright to discharge." I nodded and walked him out with a forced smile. Another doctor came in with a transfer stretcher and helped him to lie on it. They dragged him to the testing room right away while I followed up from behind.

"Are any of your family members here?" Folding his lips, he shook his head. With this, he closed his record file and ordered for him to stand by the x-ray machine. After taking several samples, he stepped back. "Woah! It's like he never got hurt. You're quite a lucky gentleman."

Tapping his shoulder, he flinched holding his chest. "Oh sorry. I'll get your discharge papers by the end of Thursday-"

"-can I leave tomorrow? I'm feeling alright. There's an emergency I have to see to." He took his file and jotted down some points. After looking at the x-ray for the third time, he nodded.