🌙5|Rumours

💎

  I picked up the pen from the document and appended my signature at the bottom. He quickly took the pen from me and run out. Staring at him stumbling along the staircase, I couldn't help but let out a heavy sigh.

Guess I scared the hell out of him.

Unwrapping the wraps on the camera from the rectangular box, I closed the door. My feet moved forward to the sofa to drop the box. Glaring happily at the brand new camera in my hands, I turned the wheel behind it and kept admiring the quality.

Nice camera, just like mom's.

I rushed to my room and clicked pictures of the room with it. Squeezing my eyes, I scanned through the pictures and smiled lightly. "Mom....I finally replaced the old one you promised me."

I thought for a moment and shook the camera. Memories flashed into my mind especially during the period when mom used to take me pictures and laugh when it turned out funny.

 She would intentionally wait for me to doze off and take a picture of me. At times, she would turn on the pipes in the garden and leave me wet anytime we'd compete.

"I wish you were here. "Sighing, I dropped the camera on my bed and walked into the kitchen. Staring at the utensils, I couldn't remember where I had placed every utensil. It was as if it was my first time staying here. I lifted my hands and looked through the shelves for an hour before I found the rolling pin.

Fetching enough flour from the fridge, I put my gloves on and prepared a dough with the other ingredients in the fridge. Pouring water over the board, I kneaded the dough and poured the mixture in containers before setting them in the oven.

Standing by for some hours, I picked the cookies out from the open with the kitchen gloves on. After dropping the containers on the table, I took a quick bite of the cookie. My throat started to itch after one bite. Rushing into the fridge for water, I turned to the salty hard cookies in front of me.

Looking down, I couldn't hold myself from feeling sad. This was the thirtieth time I was making these. They were still imperfect. She'd always prepare this for me after school. She was no longer with me. I had to learn how to cook my own food.

"I'll prepare a better one until I get it perfect." Smiling, I forced myself to take some bites.

I chewed the burnt cookies choking at each bite. When I spotted a few picture frames standing on the tables in the hall, my eyes fell in silence. I walked over to one and picked it up looking at mom. She was smiling in that picture so much. That was probably before we moved to this city.

I passed my hand over the picture we took the day I graduated preschool. She was smiling so much in it. Everything changed when wee started moving from one city to another.

She was no longer the nice mother I knew. I still wonder what made her change so much.  I'll find out what happened to you even if it takes years to.

Bustling with children, my little self stared at my friends they cheered for me. It was my sixth birthday the following day.

  "We'll have a large cake. I told my mother about it and she agreed. Make sure you come to school tomorrow. You've been missing school frequently." I stared blankly at a page in my book while my friends sat beside me.

  "Clara?" I lifted my head hearing her call. As I looked blankly at them, I was about to nod when I saw mom standing by the door. The teacher stepped out then and greeted her at the door.

  The other children started screaming and rushing out to meet their parents. Unfortunately for me, my mom was only the one that came to pick me up each time.