Chapter 143: Match Made in Heaven

You keep brewing the tea in the spring garden pavilion, pretending that you haven't heard their conversation.

Yin Zhen: [calmly] Oh?

Prince Jin: Afu has been serving me and never leave Western Liang. That is why I think you get the wrong person, Mr. Yin.

Hearing this, your hand suddenly shakes and almost spill the tea.

Xiu Ying: (What does Prince Jin mean?)

Yin Zhen: [bring up the tea cup and give a meaningful smile] Is that so? Perhaps.

Yin Zhen is still staring at you, seemingly absorbed in your tea-brewing technique, yet you can't be certain if he is staring at your face. Thankfully the mask on your face has concealed your blush. At the same time, you can feel Prince Jin's mood seem to have turned fouled.

Prince Jin: Although Afu is no beauty, she is still a girl. It may not be proper for Mr. Yin to stare at her. You are uneasy being stared at, aren't you, Afu?

You are not certain who Prince Jin is asking, but he is looking at you, clearing waiting for your answer.

Xiu Ying: I've learned my tea-brewing technique from a book. If you are interested, you can find the book to read, Mr. Yin.

Yin Zhen: I'm getting ahead of myself. Sorry, miss.

Xiu Ying: It's okay. Never mind, Mr. Yin.

Prince Jin: [suddenly speak] Mr. Yin, are you married?

Yin Zhen: I'm a businessman travelling outside. Even if I want to get married, I don't have the luxury for it yet. However, I do have a fiancée.

A fiancée? Did the Emperor choose a consort for Yin Zhen after you arrived in Western Liang? But... Yin Zhen is indeed at the age to get married.

Prince Jin: Talented as you are, your fiancée must be a perfect match, Mr. Yin.

Yin Zhen: [smile faintly] Perfect match? Your Highness' description can't be too pierce. We got to know each other due to a pouch. She is the daughter of a merchant, brave, smart, and slightly cunning, exactly my ideal type.

His voice is soft, but he speaks every single word with utmost solemnity. He is not just answering Prince Jin's words, but also telling you of what he thinks.

Handmaiden: [whisper] Afu, you've spilled your tea.

Thanks to the maiden's reminder, you quickly realize that you were too shock at Yin Zhen's words to miss the tea cup when pouring tea. You never expect Yin Zhen to say those things at this moment, and your heart immediately starts pounding heavily, but you don't even have the courage to look at him.

Yin Zhen: This cup of tea is excellent. I shall ask miss's guidance if chance permits.

Xiu Ying: [slowly calm down] Glad you like it, sir. It's my pleasure to answer any question from you, sir.

Yin Zhen: [smile] Thank you, miss.

How does he manage to say so without blushing, then keep chatting casually as if he doesn't know you at all? Despite all the complaint in your heart, you are wearing a faint smile on your face.

Prince Jin: It's late already. I have other matters to attend to. Goodbye, Mr. Yin.

Yin Zhen: [rise] Thank you for your hospitality, Your Highness. Goodbye.

After Yin Zhen leaves, Prince Jin suddenly calls you when you are about to leave too

Prince Jin: Afu, have you ever thought about marrying?

You almost think there is something wrong with your ear. You wink and see Prince Jin's cold face waiting for your answer.

Xiu Ying: I dare not have such delusions with my ugly face.

Prince Jin: Well, then stay in my mansion, stay here for the rest of your life.

His tone was heavy, pausing with each single word, but you feel like this is his curse.

Xiu Ying: (Stay here forever? Always fearing to be fed to the beasts? I would rather kill myself.)

GHOST FROM THE PAST

It's evening already when you leave the garden. You remember that you had ordered a skirt for Si Yan, so you pick up the skirt and bring it to Si Yan's courtyard. Her courtyard's door is half-closed. You call for her, but there is no answer, so you walk straight in. The moment you walk in, you detect a faint smell of smoke.

Xiu Ying: [frown] Si Yan? What is this smell?

Si Yan still doesn't answer. Worrying that something is caught on fire, you follow the smoking smell into the rear courtyard, but what you see here makes you stunned. As the light of the setting sun touches the ground, Si Yan is kneeling in a white skirt, slowly throwing the joss paper into the fire. Although it's not dark yet, this scene is still a creepy sight. Si Yan is dressing exactly like Yan'er did, with scattered long hair and white skirt, as if she is a ghost.

Xiu Ying: [softly] Lady Si Yan , you could be punished if you are found burning joss paper in the mansion.

Hearing your voice, Si Yan turns around in panic, revealing a pale face covered in tears.

Xiu Ying: [stunned] Si Yan, what happened to you?

Si Yan: [hurry to wipe her tears and speak angrily] Why did you come in without my permission?! How dare you!

As she said, she hurriedly throws all the joss paper into the fire to cover her action. Her guilty feeling could be the cause of her angry reaction too.

Xiu Ying: Sorry, Lady Si Yan. I'm just here to bring you a newly-made skirt. The door wasn't closed and you didn't answer my call, so I came in straightly.

Si Yan: [slowly calm down] You have seen nothing today. Understood? Don't forget that I am your mistress, and you must obey my command.

Si Yan: We share the same fate!

Xiu Ying: I will say nothing, but please answer my question. Who did you commemorate?

The already calmed down Si Yan suddenly changes her expression. She stares at you for a moment, then suddenly rush toward you and push you out of the door like crazy.

Si Yan: [sharp voice] You are a handmaiden! How dare you demand to answer you! Get the hell out of here!

Xiu Ying: [press her shoulder] Calm down, Lady Si Yan. Don't forget that our fates are intertwined with each other! You don't have to hide it from me.

Xiu Ying: [whisper] Were you commemorating Yan'er?

Hearing your words, Si Yan stops pushing you, her eyes full of tears. But the next moment she has wiped away her tears and is sneering at you.

Si Yan: Who do you think you are? You think you're right about everything! You're wrong. I was commemorating my mom, not some Yan'er.

Xiu Ying: [sigh] Well, you need to clean these things up yourself and don't get spotted. You know that it is forbidden to burn joss paper in the mansion.

Si Yan: [keep an eye on you] I know.

Si Yan's eyes are both hesitant and alert. It seems she didn't expect you to not press the question, but you turn around and leave soon. Si Yan has stayed there for a moment, then quickly cleans up everything.