Chapter 90: Sue for Peace

The coronation is held on a sunny winter's day. You stand below the dais, watching Consort Rong in your gown, receiving the adulation and congratulations of the Emperor's ministers. She is the very epitome of grace and elegance. At the end of the ceremony, you sigh inward and turn to leave with the other guests.

Yin Zhen: [Sadly] What has become of that feisty young girl I once knew? These days all she does is bite her tongue and sew her rival's gowns.

Looking carefully to the side you see Yin Zhen. When did he creep up on you?

Xiu Ying: Well-informed as ever, 4th Prince.

Yin Zhen: [Smiling] Such a rare thing, of course it got tongues wagging. But what I find even more remarkable is the fact the Empress dared to wear a gown that had passed through your hands.

You keep your eyes fixed firmly on the path, and laugh coldly so that only he can hear.

Xiu Ying: What does she have to be afraid of? She is eager for me to move against her, so she can catch me and be rid of me once and for all.

Yin Zhen: You have a point. But maybe she has overlooked one thing... that you are her mortal enemy.

Xiu Ying: [Scornfully] You think I don't know that? Patience has its limits. Why should I play nice, if she wants me dead?

The matter is settled. She is Empress and that is that. Someone of your standing and talent is not threat to her. Moreover, she is mistress of the Emperor's house! Dealing with you is little more to her than stepping on an ant. You're afraid you can't beat her. That being the case, why not use the gown to show her you mean her no harm, and buy yourself some time?

Yin Zhen: Excellent. You've changed. Now you understand the value of temporary compromise - the mutual pretense of civility.

His words bring to mind his earlier advise, and you laugh.

Yin Zhen: [Raising his eyebrow] Something funny?

You see Yin Zhen's arm tense. In an instant, you step out of the way, your hand raised, a vigilant gleam in your eye.

Yin Zhen: [Pulling back his hand, smiling] And you still know how to dodge.

Xiu Ying: Did you always think Consort Rong would become the Empress?

It's not just idle speculation. You think his words indicate as much.

Yin Zhen: The Emperor didn't choose her for her many virtues, but rather because there was no more suitable candidate at the time. So, one could say I deduced the Emperor's final decision.

Things are suddenly making less sense to you. Feeling upset, you start to walk faster, as if chasing something or someone. As you pull away, Yin Zhen shakes his head and laughs, He runs after you, trying to muss your hair.

Yin Zhen: Fine! Be that way. At least someone's got your back.

PLUM BLOSSOM

New Year's Eve is approaching. The palace is bursting with life as servants rush around, hanging red lanterns off every eave and railing. Red lights festoon the courtyards, like bright red plum blossoms. They don't appeal to you as much as the real thing, however, so you head out to collect fresh blossoms to decorate your quarters whenever you can.

Shi Lian: Slow down, my Lady!

Shi Lian holds the ladder steady and urges you to be careful, as you scoot up to collect the blossom yourself.

Xiu Ying: You think I'm such a klutz, Shi Lian?

You deftly cut a small branch. Pleased with your choose, you turn to show Shi Lian. As you do so, a familiar figure walks into view.

Queen Rong: [Smiling] How diverting! A wise selection. May I have it?

Not as diverting as seeing you, Empress Rong.

Xiu Ying: (Dealing with one Empress after another, why can't they let me just take a break? I don't want to give it to her, but how does one refuse an Empress?)

Xiu Ying: This one, Your Majesty? I think the color is a bit dull. Let me cut you another one.

You hand the branch to Shi Lian and turn to cut another. Then you get down the ladder and present it to the Empress.

Queen Rong: It is lovely. But tell me, why do you cut them?

Xiu Ying: They say cutting plum blossom brings good luck.

Queen Rong: Do they now? Well then, I should cut a few to bring good luck to the palace and the people.

Xiu Ying: If you do, be careful, Your Majesty. The ladder is wobbly.

Queen Rong: You can hold it steady. I'll be fine!

Empress Rong climbs up the ladder, cuts a branch, laughs, makes some small talk with you, then departs with the help of her maid. You interpret her visit as a gesture of goodwill, a peace offering. You are also inclined to make peace, for now. It's your best option. But you are not a person who forgives easily. You won't be forgetting the things she did to you any time soon.