Chapter 26: Assassination foiled

A/N: I want to be lazy and not write today, but I can't do it, need to get this chapter done!

(Normal pov— Onboard Willbreaker)

The Mongrel lieutenants that had accompanied their princess stood at attention, along with the other high-ranking Mongrels onboard Willbreaker, they watched as Eir paced back and forth, livid. "Report! How many ships did we lose?" She then demanded, her ship's commander was being chained to heavyweights around his ankles, his punishment for failing in delivering her a victory was death by drowning in icy waters.

"We're still tallying the loses," Bahiri said, "but I urge you to reconsider this punishment Princess Eir—"

Mongrel Shadows then seized Bahiri by the arms and then hurled the man into Greenland's icy waters, the commander of Eir's ship could not save himself due to the weights chained to his ankles dragging him down to his watery grave. Despite his best efforts to save himself, he began sinking to the bottom of the icy sea, he was then consumed by the now early evening darkness that fell upon Greenland.

After witnessing their princess kill her ship's commander in such a way, the men and women under Eir's command held their breath as the fuming Mongrel princess turned back to them and demanded to know how many ships they had lost. "In all fairness, Bahiri swore on his word and his life that he could deliver me a swift and decisive victory, and he failed," exhaling sharply, Eir then eyed her subjects, "now then, who among you can tell me how many ships we lost?" A Persian captain stepped forward and replied to his superior. "78 ships were lost, 35 are damaged beyond repair, and 24 can become seaworthy if tended to at a safe harbor," that Persian captain looked to Eir and spoke with a collective tone, "that is our situation at the moment, Princess Eir." Said woman grunted in acknowledgment and then groaned in agony, clutching her head and falling to her knees, her Shadows were by her side, but the Mongrel princess pushed them aside as they tried to help her up on her feet.

"It's Dahlia's curse, isn't it?" Harald inquired.

Eir let out a snarl of confirmation. "That witch toys with my life while in some darkened room," she then turned to those under her command, "time is not our ally, this curse not only plagues me but also Nikora, your queen! If we are to fall, Haddock would gain a significant advantage. If we are to bring Haddock to heel, we cannot do it while this curse continues to weigh your rulers down." Rising to her feet, Eir summoned Sa'Luk and his sect of Hashashin assassins, once the man and his deadly companions presented themselves to Eir, the Mongrel princess gave them instructions. "Gudmundr is to accompany you, he will lead you to the enemy's farming colony by skiff, while he is to end that witch Dahlia's life, you and your Hashashin are to kill Hiccup Haddock," Eir then continued, "use caution, Haddock may only be one man but he is a legendary demon of battle, it will require all of you to defeat such a beast."

"By your command, Princess Eir," Sa'Luk said with a bow of his head, he then turned to his fellow Hashashin and Gudmundr, "come, let us away." The group then boarded a skiff and were lowered into the water. As Eir watched as her servants row their skiff to the Greenland colony, Vitani approached her and spoke with humble caution. "Forgive me, Princess Eir, but you send a sleeping man to the afterlife when he could easily awaken from a nightmare?" The Mongrel princess turned to face the Egyptian woman with a stern glare, causing Vitani to lower her head. "Apologizes, I merely question why not simply confront him face to fa—"

"Because Haddock does not deserve such an honor," Eir snarled out, "he is an animal that needs to be put to grass! Without him, the Viking people will shatter and be like sheep that are ready for slaughter. I wish for this campaign to come to an end, and for it to end, Hiccup Haddock must die."

"We must take pause," Vitani pleaded, "we suffered an extensive loss of men, resources, and ships. I too am eager to see Hiccup Haddock and his incompetent race be struck from history, but assassinating a worthy opponent is unwise, your father would never—"