Chapter 25: Storm of blood

Start from the beginning

"You move recklessly—"

"Spare me your prattle," Eir barked at Nikora's words of caution, "our enemy has fled to its neighboring colonies to replenish their weakened numbers, and you have done nothing to press the advantage we have over Haddock and his people. I aim to rectify your error and secure a victory that will be forever remembered." The Mongrel princess left her older sister while she gathered the Mongrels who followed her and the Hunnic warlord Attila and his hordes to aid her and her forces.

"Eir!"

The Mongrel princess turned around to face her older sister, the Mongrel queen then spoke. "I can't help you if you choose to do this," she explained further, "I'll be leading the rest of our forces and the warlords armies in an effort to destroy any Viking villages or kingdoms that could potentially be of aid to Haddock. Are you prepared to face the devil who took our father alone?"

Nikora's question settled in Eir's mind, was she indeed ready to confront Haddock personally? Of course she was! She was a daughter of Hassan Stormheart, and her desire to avenge her father's death would be sated.

"I am," was her response to Nikora. "I no longer stand as a child, and you cannot smother me with patience any longer. With or without you, I will make Haddock pay for the grievous wound he inflicted upon us." With nothing more to say, Eir left her sister and steeled herself.

But before Eir could lead those under her command and leave Denmark, however, there were still several people she needed by her side. The Mongrel princess approached Harald Forkbeard, Gudmundr, Revna, and the Scandinavians who betrayed Hiccup and sided with the Mongrel Tribe. Approaching the group of Scandinavians, Eir eyed those who once stood with Hiccup. "You have already betrayed your sworn lord by siding with us, now I would test the true depths of your loyalty to us," she continued, "our hunting party informed me that the witch who cursed myself and Nikora flees back to Haddock's warm embrace. You will be accompanying me and tell me where exactly Haddock has hidden."

"Chances are he has fled to Greenland," Gudmunndr said, "that land not only holds a significant farming colony, but it also holds Haddock's auxiliary forces, men who used to be Dragon Hunters."

Eir turned to Harald and nodded. "Ready yourself, Haddock and his people may not have enough numbers to challenge us head-on, but they will seek vengeance against us," she then added with a sinister smirk, "let us put these rabid dogs out of their misery."

(Hiccup's pov)

The funeral we held in my mother's honor was never going to be easy, it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life. I remember when I was still a boy back on Berk, begging the gods that my mother was still alive and that she would save me from all the hell I endured there. Such terrible memories have long since faded, but the loss of my mother will never leave my mind. Those who served Valka and her dragon-riding tribe mourned spectacularly; bitter tears flowed down their cheeks, they said their individual farewells, and they swore to the gods that they would honor her name by continuing to serve her children with loyalty and humility, just as they served her.

Greenland's inhabitants offered us their condolences as well as gifts of food, though the sight of my dead mother's ghostly white skin made me lose any appetite I had, it made me sick to think there was nothing I could do to prevent my mother from succumbing to her illness.

Now, it was time to send Valka to Valhalla and give her the rest she rightly deserves.

Halfdan and Hava had said their heartfelt farewells to our mother and I knew saying goodbye to her was no easy task; it was a severe blow to their spirits and it threatened to crush them. I would not have it so, the coming days would put our people to the test, and I would have my siblings keen and not dulled by sorrow.