Chapter 31

Two days earlier...

As per usual, Levi was having trouble sleeping. However, it wasn't his memories haunting him this time, but the sadness he felt from forcing himself to give you space. He missed you more than he could admit to even himself, but he refused to go against your wishes.

Despite that, he had a strange feeling in his gut. Would it be wrong to at least go check on you? Maybe talking it out would make it better...

Levi groaned, tilting his head back against the wall where he sat, his eyes now studying the ceiling as frustration welled up inside him. No. I should at least give her until morning.

He got up and went to sit just outside of the cabin, watching as the sun eventually rose and flooded the forest with soft white light. As its colors deepened, he stood once more and decided to look for you, an odd feeling creeping on him. He checked the barn first, since he knew you weren't at the cabin. Empty, save for Luis, with Sasha dozing off nearby while on watch.

"Oi," Levi snapped in annoyance, causing Sasha to jump with widened eyes. "Have you seen (Y/n)?"

Sasha's eyes flickered to the exit, like a cornered animal contemplating escape. "Uhh... not since I took over watch last night."

Levi nodded. "If I catch you sleeping on the job again, I'll have you running until you shit yourself." He then swiftly left, deciding to head for the main house of Sasha's family and check there. Upon walking up the path beside the pasture fence, he was met with Jean and Connie on their way out.

"Is (Y/n) around here?" he demanded.

They exchanged a quizzical glance, but both shook their heads, so Levi flicked his hand to dismiss them. He stood still for a moment and brought one hand up to pinch the bridge of his nose while the other supported it by crossing his chest. He furrowed his brow. Where could she be? Maybe she took a walk?

Levi sighed, trying to push down his rising worry. Then a thought struck him, causing him to lift his widened eyes. No fucking way she's that dumb.

He turned abruptly and hurried back to where their horses were kept, cursing as he noticed one in particular was missing. To confirm further, he went back to the cabin and checked their supplies. Several rations were missing, along with (Y/n)'s 3DMG and other essentials. She must have had it planned at least before he last saw her. He'd been at the cabin all that evening.

Levi spun around as the cabin door creaked open, spotting Mikasa standing in the doorway with a mostly empty bag slung over one shoulder and her trademark scarf wrapped neatly around her neck.

"Captain," she said flatly, her gray eyes like knives. "I've come to gather the supplies I'll need for the trip tonight."

"Change of plans. We're leaving in ten minutes. (Y/n) left last night, so we need to catch up."

Mikasa only nodded and quickly set to work, shoving what she needed into the bag. Levi copied with luggage of his own. He hadn't planned on making the trip himself, but now he had no choice. You were not fit to travel so soon after Shiganshina, he thought you knew that. An annoyed growl nearly escaped him through his clenched teeth.

Levi finished packing first, so he took a moment to scrawl a quick note to leave on the table in the cabin, mentioning the circumstances.

He and Mikasa then jogged to the stables and secured their belongings to their horses, mounting them and taking off without further hesitation.

_______________

The girl tumbled like a rag doll down the slope and came to a stop no more than a couple meters from the bushes that concealed you.