Chapter 24

The room was dark until Joan lit a candle and set it on a table. She sat down across from you.

"I'll cut to the chase. I work for your father, just as my father before me. When other means failed, he gave me the mission of bringing you in through your own surrender. That is still my mission." Joan paused to let her words sink in, her murky green eyes unreadable. You gaped at her. She...works for my father? A sudden mixture of pain and anger gripped your heart like talons.

"That mark on your wrist is a bounty. Mr. (L/n) has every killer in the walls ready to bring you in at a moment's notice, dead or alive. But it doesn't have to be that way. If you're prepared to surrender, he's prepared to spare your life. I know this will sound like bullshit, (Y/n), but not all of what I said was fake. I do care about you. So please, don't fight. Live."

Your hands started to tremble with rage, so you clasped them together as you leaned forward with your forearms resting on your knees, pinning Joan with a deadly glare that seemed to say it all. "You clearly only care about yourself," you spat venomously. "I mean, how could you?"

Joan looked away. "I owe him my life, therefore it's his to take or spare." She raised her eyes to meet yours evenly. "And you owe me your life. If I don't bring you in, I'll likely be killed. Besides," she sighed. "It'll be a horrible end, choking on your own blood, if you decide to fight. Consider whether you want to put that on your comrades. On Levi."

You stared down at your hands. Despite her being a spy, Joan did save my life. I wouldn't have gotten the time I've had with Levi if not for her. And if what she says is true, there's no way I could hide anymore. My father has many men, a number that's surely grown in my time away.

"(Y/n)," Joan's voice took on an oddly gentle tone. "He agreed to let you go on this last expedition. It doesn't have to be right now."

Your head jerked up in shock. "Yeah, right. Because my father is so considerate!"

"Because he knows you won't agree when you risk dying on this expedition anyway. And he knows you wouldn't just abandon it," Joan countered. She stood up. "It's rather generous either way. He could have ordered me to kill you here and now."

"Would you have?" Your burning (e/c) eyes stared up into hers.

Joan blinked. "Yes." She strode over to the candle and put it out with two fingers. "You'd better be on your way before you're missed. I know Levi keeps you on an awfully short leash."

You ignored the insult, along with the hurt that hollowed your chest, instead rising and making a beeline for the door. There'll be a time to feel my feelings, just not now. Not here.

"Oh, and (Y/n)?" Joan's soft call made you halt with your hand clutching the doorknob. "If you're trying to think up some way out, don't waste your time. Running will only shift the target to the backs of your comrades, as well."

You jerked the door open and left, down the alley and back to the wide pathway of stairs that cut through the buildings. You walked up them a ways, a strange feeling creeping into your chest and beginning to suffocate you. You suddenly couldn't take it anymore. You sat down heavily on a step and put your head between your knees, trying hard to fight back tears.

"(Y/n)?" Shit. Hurried footsteps approached. It was Hange. They sat next to you and put a hand on your shoulder, their brown eyes worried as they waited for you to regain a bit of your composure. "What's got you like this?"