xx. in which julie finds out

THE SUN had started to set as Julie and I walk back to her house, silence circling around us. A silence that I would love to break, but don't know what I could say to do so.

The trip to the Patterson's was one that I will most likely never forget. It left me wishing that after we left I could go straight to my house and hug my parents. Except I can't. Instead I'm left with a mother who's out of town until who knows how long, my father who had passed only a year ago, and a apartment with a broken heater that I doubt would give me the same warmth a hug from a parent would give.

So instead of going back to my apartment, Julie and I now walk up to her front door, all the tears that were shed had calmed down a few moments after the both of us had walked out of the door from Luke's parents house.

As we turn the corner to climb up the steps to the front door, I immediately catch sight of the ghost who had been on my mind ever-since we started walking back to Julie's, leaning up against the wooden frame at the top of the steps.

"Hey," I speak-breaking the silence that was bound to turn awkward if no one spoke up- meeting the gaze of the boy ahead of us. Though I take a slight pause in my steps when I notice how Julie stopped a few steps back and looking over at her I see her nod her head towards the studio, silently telling me she'll be waiting in there.

Giving her a small smile and nod, Julie turns her back towards me and begins walking to the studio.

"Hey," Luke replies at the same moment Julie becomes out of sight.

Taking careful steps forward, I start speaking once again. "Look, um . . . I-We're sorry for overstepping." I tell Luke, motioning in the direction that leads to the studio where Julie had just walked away.

"No, I . . ." Now walking up to stand in front of him, Luke pauses for a moment before continuing what he was saying. "I just had to leave. That was . . ." Cutting himself off from what he was saying, I notice how he has stepped forward from where he was before.

Meeting his gaze I can still see some of the pain and sadness in his eyes that I know are from the events that happened earlier.

"You don't have to say anything." I rush out, slightly shaking my head in the process. I already know most of the story from the night we had performed at the cafe, and I don't need him to retell it at the moment because he feels obligated to.

"Yeah, I do. Uh . . . I didn't have many regrets in my life, except for-as you probably remember from our conversation some time ago," so he remembers too, "running out on my parents. Especially my mom, so . . . thank you." Luke tells me, and I give him a small smile in return.

"You don't have to thank me, Luke. This was all mostly Julie's idea anyways, she showed me the song and came up with the idea. She just let me tag along but I'm happy that we could do this for you. You've helped me in so many ways, as well as Julie, and it's only fair that we would help you in return." I state, rambling slightly.

Looking back up at the boy who stands directly in front of me, I'm just now noticing how his gaze has never left mine, while mine has gone from my shoes to him multiple times.

"It was perfect." Luke tells me and with my eyes trailing back down I see his hand held out to me. Taking that at what I assume is a invitation I place my hand in his.

Giving his hand a small squeeze as soon as our fingers intertwined, I turn towards the pathway in front of us, relishing in the moment knowing that sooner than later there will be no more of this. That sooner than later I'll be having to say goodbye.

"This is an interesting little relationship you and I have." I small laugh escapes my lips as I turn my head to look at the boy next to me with a smile.