xv. a heart-to-heart conversation

I HAD asked Ray to drop me off at some random house near my complex. This earned a weird look from Julie as I stepped out of the car, but all I did was give her a small smile and thank Ray for the ride.

It's not that I didn't want them to know where I lived, it's just I didn't need Ray to get the idea I'm living alone. So I picked a house with the lights on and you can see an old couple sitting on the couch. I made up the quick excuse that they were my grandparents and I'm staying with them until my parents get back from a work trip before exiting out of the car.

I waited for his car to get out of site before I turned my back to the house and towards the direction of where I actually live.

It was a bit chilly as I walked the distance to my apartment, and the thin material of the flannel on my shoulders barely helps with anything. So keeping my arms crossed, I continued with my walk.

I couldn't even take a step towards the stairs before I was once again crouching down in pain. This time it felt worse than it was a few hours ago, and it took me a bit longer to regain my composure.

Taking deep breaths and rubbing my chest as I stand back up, I once again force my panic down knowing that it will do nothing but make-whatever this situation I got myself into worse.

Though I was thankful I hadn't started walking up the stairs, otherwise this could've been a lot more painful.

Now walking up the stairs I count the floors I pass until I reach mine. My mother had gotten us one in the middle of the complex, and I was thankful for that at this moment because I was already sort of out of breath from the walk here-plus the jolt. So not having to walk up anymore stairs only made my night a sliver better.

Entering and closing the door to my apartment, I make sure all the locks are done before I start to walk to my room. Once again, my night was a sliver better when I found that the heating system was working.

I throw the flannel onto my desk chair, and quickly change out of the outfit I had on and into a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt.

Once I'm comfortable I walk over to my bed and just lay down, but don't close my eyes and instead just let myself stare up at the ceiling and think about tonight.

Tonight was a pretty good night, beside the fact of Mr. Molina coming and getting us early before Julie could hear the offer the lady had for her band.

It still feels surreal having performed on stage with the band, and honestly am not mad at them like I thought I would be. At the moment I was, but now thinking back I'm glad they had pushed me to perform the song Luke and I had written.

Now sitting up from my laying down position, the strange feeling starts to form in my stomach again as I think about that part of the performance. And as if he could hear me thinking about him the ghost pops up into my room next to my bed.

I almost fall off the bed when he comes in, but he catches my wrist before I could fall backwards.

Looking up at him he has an amused look on his face as he lets go of my wrist. Clearing my throat I fix myself back on my bed and turn towards him. Real smooth, Florence.

"Don't," I point at him as he looks like he's about to laugh.

"Real smooth," Luke says in a teasing tone as he bites back a grin. My eyes widen and face flushed slightly. I said that out loud?

"U-um . . . What are you doing here?" I stutter a little as I ask him the question. I watch as he grins a little at my stuttering.

"Well I wanted to tell you that Julie came home a few minutes after her dad dropped you off and then came storming into the studio. First she told us that her dad didn't force her to quit the band, and then lectured us on scaring her tía." He laughs and I do as well. "I also wanted to tell you that . . . I'm really glad you performed with us tonight."