Chapter 28 - Was All That A Dream?

"Katelyn, are getting up?!"

Grandma suddenly appeared in the doorway, hands on her hips. I stared at her in horror, tears gathering in my eyes.

"Katelyn, I gave you five minutes. You really should go to school. I said I'll come with you." She noticed my state. Her features softened. "Oh, Katelyn..." She came over and sat next to me as those tears spilled from my eyes, and my insides started tying into knots. I felt an arm around my shoulders, and I smelled rose perfume. "Sweetheart, look, I understand that you don't want to go, but really, you have to."

I let out a whimper and the sobs erupted out of me. I leaned into Grandma and let it all out. This can't be happening. THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!

"Oh goodness..." Grandma cooed and held me, rocking me from side to side. "I'm so sorry, Katelyn."

She held me as the tears flowed, soaking her blouse. "No..." I muttered in disdain and disbelief. "Noooo..."

I came home. I was back in 2021.

~ ~ ~

Grandma drove up to the school, and I stared at it out the window. Of course I didn't have my backpack since I left it in my locker the day before. Wait, yesterday? Not a over a month ago?

"Grandma... it's not December..."

"No, it's not. Katelyn, that was all a dream."

I told her what I experienced back in 1956, at least I just told her that I went back in time and met Elvis. "Was it? It was so real, and time passed as it does here."

"Dreams can be realistic like that. Elvis has passed away."

"I know he has, he..." I looked to her. "Wait. When did he pass away?"

She gave me a look like I sprouted an arm out of my nose. "You of all people should know that, Katelyn. He passed away back in 2010."

I let out a gasp, utterly shocked. "2010?"

"Yes. Wow, that must have been some dream. What exactly happened in it?"

"I... well, I went back in time and met him, and I fell in love with him after becoming famous like him. We became this media couple, and we did so many things together. I told him about his future, that he dies in 1977 from drug usage." I paused, taking this in. "How can this be happening? 2010?"

I was thoroughly flabbergasted, as well as Grandma. "1977? Heavens! That's a horrible dream, Katelyn. If he died in 1977, then the world would have been deprived of him for a good thirty-three years before his actual passing."

I had to figure this out. "Who does he marry? How many kids does he have?" I met her eyes as they still had confusion in them. "Please, humor me."

"He married Priscilla, of course, and they had four children, Lisa, Adam, Bernice and Bradley. Honestly, you're taking that dream way too seriously."

"Maybe..." I muttered. I got out my phone and looked Elvis up. I gasped when I saw an older picture of him. He lived to an old age. He lived to be seventy-five. Not the 100 I thought he would get to, but close enough. I scrolled through the information on him and saw those kids Grandma mentioned, and the twelve grandchildren listed, too. Wow, twelve!

"Unbelievable!" I hollered. I tapped the images and I gasped when I saw... me, posing next to Elvis in our first photoshoot. "Oh my gosh..." I put the phone in Grandma's face. "This is me! That's me, Grandma!"

She took the phone and looked at it. "Katelyn... no, that's not you. That's a girl that all the girls wanted to look like back then. Why do you think your name is Katelyn? Because your mother was a fan of Elvyn. And why do you think you dyed your hair purple? Because of her. You wanted to look like her. She was the love of Elvis's life who just up and left, leaving a broken heart inside of him. The nation was appalled and hurt. You know all this."