Chapter 11 - She's Strummin' My Heartstrings

I almost kissed her. I really wanted to, actually, but it would have been wrong. We met each other only a few days before, but she made a big impact on me, bigger than the dozens of girls I met on a daily basis. Why was that? Because she knew what would happen to me in the future? It was really gnawing at me... What happened to me that made her so desperate to stay silent about it?

Would something really bad happen to me? It could be so many things. The worst possible thing popped into my head and I bolted up in my hotel bed, and I knew my hair was every which-way. "No way..." I muttered, my heart pounding. "That can't be it."

Then why did she always get teary eyes when my future was mentioned?

I groaned. If I didn't believe that she was from the future, this would be a whole lot easier. Her eyes had no hint of lying, though. If she was, she was great at acting. Even I wasn't that great of an actor, faking the look in my eyes. Eyes didn't lie. Katelyn wasn't lying. She was really from the future, and there was something bad about my future that she didn't want to tell me... and it had to do with the Colonel. Or at least, it had something to do with him. Would things get so bad that he... to me...

"No, no, no!" I swung my legs out over the edge of the bed and rubbed my face with both hands. I shouldn't think about it. It was probably not that bad, Katelyn was just emotional since she had it rough in her life. I couldn't imagine having to grow up living with the knowledge that my parents did something worth thirty years in prison. What did her parents do?

It was none of my business. Did she know that my father spent six months in prison when I was only three years old? Why didn't I tell her that? It could have helped her feel a little better, and it could be another something we had in common. How horrible it was that she was bullied in the way that she was. People were as mean in 1956 as they were in her time.

I stood up in the darkness of the room and went into the bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror after turning on the light. Yes, my hair was going everywhere. I took a comb through it, but it didn't do much.

What time was it? I went out into the bedroom and looked at the clock on the wall, the light of the bathroom shining onto it. I grimaced when I saw the shorter hand on the three. Well, so much for sleeping the rest of the night. Maybe I could go downstairs into the ballroom and play on the piano in there. I did a press conference in there the week ago, and I eyed that piano with hungry fingers.

I went back into the bathroom and slicked back my hair with oil and Vaseline. I should change out of my pajama pants and shirt, just in case I met anyone. I pulled on a white polo and black slacks, and I slipped on my white sneakers.

I left my suite and went on passed the Colonel's room in the hallway, a smirk playing on my lips because I heard loud snores coming from inside. We had tried sharing a suit before, but it left me sleepless due to his snoring. He turned around and said I snore, too. It was just better for the both of us to have separate rooms.

Not a soul walked the halls at this time of night, not even cleaning staff or late-nighters coming in from a club or wherever. The elevator lobby was empty, as well as the lobby downstairs when I came to it. I made my way down some more hallways, my thumbs in my pockets as I walked. I recalled what Katelyn said about guys wearing their pants halfway down their legs. I snickered. They were probably walking like penguins all the time.

I came to a set of wooden double-doors and opened one. I came into a large room with a shiny wooden floor, and there were some tables and chairs pushed up against the walls. It was dark, since the room wasn't being used, but thankfully, I found a switch. The room lit up, and I instantly saw that beautiful black piano in the corner, near where the bands would play for events. I made a b-line for it and sat down on the bench as soon as I came up to it. I slid the cover over the keys off and eyed the shiny ivories.