Chapter 6 - We Interrupt This Program...

Lunch time, finally, after a grueling morning of interviews. I sat on the end of my hotel bed, a large hamburger in my hands. The Colonel sat at the table near the kitchen area, his own take-out order in front of him. He had gotten us this from the joint down the road as I waited in the room. I smirked as he stared at the burger and twerked his nose.

"It's not gonna bit ya," I said, chuckling, then looked at my own thick burger. "Come to papa."

"I don't know how you don't become fat with all the food you eat, Elvis, especially when it's this heart-attack-in-a-bag. I insist that you eat healthier."

"I'm a growin' boy," I refuted, my mouth a bit full. "I need the good stuff."

"Well, I sure don't need it."

"Live a little, Colonel."

He shook his head as I looked to the box TV in the room. I got off the bed for a moment, turned it on, and sat back where I was. Some commercial about a hoover was on, and I waited the thirty seconds until it was over to see what program was on. Hopefully it was a western. I loved those. I would like to act in more of them, like Love Me Tender. Riding a horse and being out in the open was my kind of thing.

The commercial ended and on came the show. "Yes!" I cheered.

"What is it now?" the Colonel asked, finally eating.

"A western's on."

"Good for you."

I watched for a few minutes of the show, then it was cut to a news channel. "Hey," I complained as the announcer went on to say that there was breaking news. "Ah, c'mon, they were doin' showdown. Now of all times..."

I heard my manager snicker, and I huffed. My annoyance immediately left me as the announcer said, "There was a commotion at Evan's Department Store down 5th Street this morning as a flock of young people flooded the store, wanting to meet the new sensation Miss Katelyn Brier, the girl from the future. As you remember, she appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show just yesterday and immediately caught the hearts of the nation. Here is what was seen at Evan's this morning..."

I put my hamburger aside as I stared at the gray screen and as it showed the outside of the store with people flocking into it. The place was a commotion. The cameraperson and newsman made it through the crowd, and finally, she appeared.

"Hey, there she is!" I hollered.

"Who? That loony girl?"

"She's not loony. And yes, it's her. She's on the news, and doggonit, isn't she pretty with her hair lookin' like that? She's not wearin' my face on 'er this time. Too bad."

The Colonel came over and stood near the bed, and we watched what happened. People were pushing papers into her face, wanting her to sign them. She did so as the newsman started shouting at her above the chaos.

"Tom Houden from NBC News! You're the girl that the whole city is talking about! Everyone can't get enough of the purple hair and your story about being from the future! Tell the nation, what year are you from again?!"

A look of shock came to her face. "2021!"

"Incredible! And you came to meet Elvis Presley?!"

"That happened on accident!"

"Is he your favorite star?!"

"Yes, he is!"

I grinned.

"How do you feel about him wanting to meet you again?! Surely you heard the radio this morning!"