Chapter 9 - Future Talk

For the beginning of this chapter, we just have to pretend that Katelyn is there with Elvis and the other guys performing =)

~ ~ ~

My life was made. Well, when I met Elvis, I thought the same thing, but hearing him and watching him sing and dance made my life more so, if that made sense. I sat there on my stool as he performed "Don't Be Cruel".

The girls went crazy. Whenever he smirked, talked or even breathed the girls screamed like they were on fire. I admit I would be one of them if I was in the audience. I had to keep my composure as the camera was on me. How difficult it was!

"Love Me Tender" was up next. For this one, I still had to just sit on my stool, but I would be right up next to Elvis as he looks right at me. Ed Sullivan decided that this would be a little role-playing game. He said to the audience, "Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis is going to sing a song from his latest movie Love Me Tender, a song that has the same name. His character sings it to his mother, brothers and young bride. Today, as you have seen, Miss Katelin Brier is joining us." They all screamed and cheered. I was introduced at the beginning, it was just shocking that they all reacted to me in the same way they reacted to Elvis. Ed went on, "She is going to be in the role of Elvis's character's bride."

The screams began again, and once Elvis took his stance for singing, they quieted down.

As he sang, he gazed at me, and my heart raced inside of me. Grandma played this song for me also when I would cry when I was younger. It was smooth and calming. I recalled the video I had always watched on YouTube, a video that was in black-and-white, and he was singing it solo with some background accompaniment. It was the same here, only he was looking right at me, not facing the audience like in the video. As he sang, my gaze stayed glued on his blue eyes, and he didn't look away until the song was through.

The girls again went wild, and I had to snap out of it. 

"Well there you have it, folks!" Ed called out. "'Love Me Tender'! Amazing!"

"Thank you, Mr. Sullivan," said Elvis.

They shook hands, and Elvis and all of us went off the set to the back stage area through the curtain as Ed said there would be a short break before Elvis's last number "Hound Dog". I let out a breath. He noticed.

"You were great, out there," he said to me.

"Thanks. So were you. Golly, that was beautiful... the song."

"Thank you, that means a lot, Katelyn. So... you mentioned on the news that you have a favorite song of mine but it hasn't come out yet."

Oh boy, he wants to know what that is. "I have a lot of favorite songs by you, but a lot of them haven't come out yet."

"Do you mind me askin' what that song is, or how it goes? The one from 1973."

Should I tell him? I was still kicking myself for revealing that he needed a different manager. I didn't have a doubt that he faltered during the practice because of that. He seemed more uncomfortable after the Colonel reprimanded him for goofing up. It happens, dude! Don't jump down Elvis's throat!