Chapter 4 - She's Worth Knowin'

"Make yourself at home."

I came into a very 50s style living room. Two blocky custard-yellow sofas sat kitty-corner to each other, with a rectangle coffee table in front of them, but what caught my eye was the antique TV. Of course, it wasn't antique here, it was just old to me.

"This little apartment is quaint, yes, but it's home," said the blonde lady who offered to take me up at her place after I revealed on the air that I was from the future and had no place to stay. I was in that studio clear until six in the evening when it was around two when I got there - odd, since it was morning when I was somehow transported to 1956. I had been escorted off of the set and had to sit in a dressing room fiddling with a guitar, not knowing how to play it, and listening to the radio until Sharon, the lady with me, told me she could take me home.

"Thank you so much for taking me in, Sharon," I said to her. She was a pretty lady around thirty or so, and her hair was straight, but curled at her shoulders.

She waved a hand at me. "Oh, no problem! It's just me and Maxie in this ol' house."

"Maxie?"

I suddenly heard barking from a back room and saw a little tan fluff running down the hallway. The little thing came up to me, barking and barking, making its little body move with every bark. My heart melted. "Aw...!" I gushed. "How adorable!"

"Yep, that's Maxie. He thinks he's tough, but he's actually pretty shy."

"Can I try holding him?"

"Of course."

I bent down, and the dog continued barking away. It was a high-pitched bark, but it didn't hurt my ears. I took him up and held him in my arms. He stopped barking. "See? I don't bite." I pet his little furry body.

"He likes you. That's a lot coming from him. He usually comes up to people, barks, then hides. I think he can smell the future on you."

I looked at her brown eyes filled with kindness. Maxie snuggled to my chest, against Elvis's face, as I pet him. "You believe what everyone is calling a crazy story? I heard what the radio people said. There was a radio in the dressing room. I turned it off because I didn't want to hear anyone else making fun of me." I had enough of that back home.

Sharon gave me a sympathetic look. She didn't know my back story yet. "Hey, they weren't making fun of you. They were just interested, that's all. And yes, I believe your story. I think time travel is possible."

"You do?" Even I don't believe it, but here I am.

"I do." She went into the kitchen area. This was a small apartment, with the living room to the left of the door, a square wooden dining room table to the right of it, and the kitchen counter almost touched one of the chairs by it. "I personally think that I went back in time once, but only a year back in time. I saw some events happen that I know happened the year before. I was only thirteen then, and to this day, I believe that it actually happened. My mother thinks otherwise."

I came over to her as she stood at the kitchen sink, a glass in hand. She filled it up with water from the tap, then went and put it in a dog bowl that sat on the floor. Maxie squirmed in my arms, so I put him down and he went right for the water. Thirsty little thing. He was probably a Shih-Tzu mixed with some other little dog. Cute.

"Well, if it's happened to you, then it's happened to me," I said as Maxie lapped up water. "I really can't believe it. And I woke up in some random office all the way across the country."

Sharon knew about that since I said it on the air as well. I revealed that whole meeting in that office. "But not just any office. God allowed you to be sent to the exact office that Elvis Presley himself would be entering moments later. You can't call that a mere coincidence." She came up to me, her eyes shining gleefully. "Now tell me, what was it like to be in the presence of that hunky heartthrob? I work at the studio, but I've never met him."