Chapter 3 - A Surprise on the Ed Sullivan Show

How was this possible? Was this possible?

People started walking down the hallway, a man and a woman, and I perked up like a cat, but like a cat, I felt like running and hiding when there were strangers. The woman had on a light-blue pencil skirt and a white blouse on top. Not that strange. But the style of her blonde hair screamed 50s, along with the man's slicked-back brown hair.

They saw me, and I froze. The woman's brows creased, and she looked me up and down. Heat rushed into my cheeks in embarrassment. The two older men in that office were appalled at what I wore and the purple in my hair. This man and woman, according to their facial expressions, were experiencing the same reaction.

"What in the world...?" the woman enthused, and I walked on passed them briskly. The woman said, "Did you see what she was wearing, Adam?"

"Yeah, she had Elvis on her shirt. I didn't know they made those."

"I mean her pants and her hair. I haven't seen anyone..."

Her voice drowned out as I turned a corner. I had my black flats on. How did those get on my feet if I was in bed before?

This was a dream. I could wear whatever I wanted... but how come my clothes weren't magically changing into clothes girls wore in the 50s? That happens in dream - you can do whatever you want. How come it wasn't happening now?

Because this wasn't a dream.

I came to a door and opened it. My mouth dropped open as I saw people walking about and what looked like a set to a talk show... a familiar one. At least, I remembered the curtain backdrop, only it was in color - deep red. This was the Ed Sullivan Show! Back there, Elvis said this was the building for it.

Oh gosh, Elvis... I met the Elvis Presley.

"And enter the trio!" some man shouted, and the studio audience screamed, cheered and clapped. A group of three good-looking younger guys - maybe they all were around twenty years old - wearing loose gray suits came onto the set and stood next to a middle-aged man in a black suit. Yes, that was Ed Sullivan. I had seen enough of his shows on YouTube to know what he looked like. He announced the guys as the newest trio to hit the radio and called them "The Three Goons."

The three guys started singing chorus style, and not realizing that I was, I walked up closer to the set, trying to believe that this was all happening. One of the guys caught sight of me, and he didn't look away. He winked! One of the other guys noticed me as well and sang and stared. Soon, all three saw me, and Ed Sullivan looked to see what the boys were staring at. That in turn caused the people with the cameras to look over at me.

The guys stopped their song, and they still stared at me. "Looks like the Goons have their eyes on something pretty in our studio," said Ed.

I never had so many people look at me all in one second and at the same time. People in the studio audience had their eyes on me, too.

My whole body started tingling, and my face suddenly became very hot. I looked around, not knowing what to do.

"She has Elvis on her shirt!" some girl shouted from the audience, and several more screamed. "I want one!" shouted another, and they all went crazy. A camera suddenly turned to me, not six feet away, and I stared right at it, eyes wide.

"Sorry, folks, looks like there's quite the distraction," said Ed.

"The phone lines are flooding," said some woman behind me, but I didn't turn to see her. My body stayed where it was, stock-still. "They all are wondering who she is and how they can get that shirt."

Someone suddenly stood next to me, and I saw that it was Ed himself. I let out a gasp. "Hello, young miss," he said, the camera on us. "The nation is wondering who you are, so why don't you introduce yourself?"