Chapter 18 - Movie Night pt 1

I couldn't believe all that happened in the short two weeks that I had been in 1956. Well, seventeen days, but who was counting? The point was, I met, befriended and fell in love with Elvis, I became famous, and I became the person the whole country, and some of the rest of the world, was shipping Elvis with. I hadn't seen him in person since the Colonel dragged him away that time in the hallway, but I called him Friday night. That was it. I was aching to see him again.

As I slumped back in the sofa in Sharon's living room at around nine at night, and Maxie slept against my left leg, I eyed the phone on the little end-table next to me. Should I call him? It wouldn't hurt. The Colonel was going along with the Media Couple thing still, he was just making sure I didn't do or say anything stupid again. In a way, he was like my third manager since he talked with Nancy and Sharon every day. Sharon was still Nancy's shadow. She would be into the following year. Would I be around for that long?

No, don't think about that.

"I'll just call him. He should be in his hotel room by now. Hopefully."

I took the black phone off the receiver. I turned the rotary, putting in the number. I had memorized it by now. I put the phone to my ear. I hoped that the Colonel was with him. If not, Elvis wouldn't answer the phone - another one of those rules. Thankfully the Colonel was there when I called Elvis a few days ago.

"Colonel Tom Parker speaking," I heard on the other end suddenly and my heart started racing. I sat up straight, the movement waking Maxie up. He held up his furry, sleepy head.

"Yes, hello, Colonel Parker. This is Katelyn."

"Yes, I know."

He didn't sound too happy. "I'm not calling too late, am I?"

"Nope. We just walked in. I assume you want to speak to Elvis?"

There was no point in beating around the bush. "Yes, if that's okay. I just wanted to talk to him about something."

"Of course you do. Very well. Elvis," he said, sounding like the phone is away from his ear. "Guess who?"

I heard shuffling, then, "Katelyn, hi."

I grinned at hearing his voice. "Hey, Elvis."

"It's great to hear your voice."

"It's great to hear your voice, too." I imagined the Colonel rolling his eyes. "I've been really busy, so I haven't been able to call."

"No need to apologize. I've been busy, too. Comes with the job."

"Yeah."

"So, what're you up to?"

"Just chilling at home, petting Maxie. He's lying right next to me."

I had told him about Maxie. "Aw, I'm jealous. I wanna dog. Maybe I can come over sometime and meet 'im."

"That would be wonderful. He would like you."

We paused for a moment as I pet Maxie's furry head. Elvis asked, "So, anythin' wrong?"

"Wrong? No." Oh, he was fishing for a reason why I called. "I just called because..."

"Because why?" He asked after a few seconds of me not saying anything and messing with the fur on Maxie's head.

"It's a little embarrassing. I just... I miss you."

He paused for a moment, then, in a gentle tone, "Katelyn, there's nothin' embarrassin' about missin' someone. I miss you, too. I was actually hopin' that uh... well, I was hopin' to ask you somethin'. The Colonel and Nancy already said it was fine, for publicity and all."