Chapter Eight

Was dropping into the seat across from the white knight unceremoniously without first asking if he could, a good idea? As it turned out, no. No, it was not.

In Cricket's effort to look casual his knees bumped the table leg, jiggling the knight's teacup and sloshing liquid onto the table. The knight, who was just moving to pick up his cup, lifted eyes as golden as the first rays of the sun on a mid-summer morning, to glare coldly at Cricket.

"Hi," Cricket said, going for smooth as he leaned forward to press one elbow onto the table, chin resting in hand, and missed entirely. He yelped, scrambling back into his seat to keep from toppling to the floor. When he'd gotten himself situated again, he shot the knight a crooked, dimpled grin. "Umm... Hi. I'm Prince Cricket Akio Yue."

The knight looked him up and down, measuring Cricket's worth in the quick motion. He found Cricket wanting, if the annoyed press of his lips was anything to go by. Instead of responding, he grabbed a napkin to sop up the mess, and poured himself another cup of tea.

"So... That could have gone better." Cricket cleared his throat, feeling awkward. He looked over to see if Ignacia was having better luck, and sent a silent 'thank you' to the Lady Selene that Ignacia was too wrapped up in her own conversation to see Cricket making an ass of himself. "Anyway, like I said, I'm prince Cricket Akio Yue."

"I heard you," the knight said, lifting his gaze to fix Cricket with another annoyed expression.

"Right umm... I could... I can order you another pot?" He nodded to the tea pot, folding his hands carefully into his lap to keep from knocking anything else over. If Uncle could see him, Cricket was sure he'd have something to say about the mess he'd made of things already.

"No need."

"Oh." Cricket frowned. His fingers fiddled with the end of his long braid, needing something to keep him distracted under the other man's scrutiny. "You know, it's common practice when someone introduces themselves to introduce yourself."

The man's face remained the same, fixed in that expression of mild annoyance. Cricket couldn't tell if he was considering giving his name, or not. Maybe he was trying to figure out if introducing himself would make Cricket go away or keep talking. Cricket fought the urge to fidget more under that penetrating stare.

"And your name is?" Cricket tried again, holding his hand out to the man.

Those golden eyes flicked down to Cricket's outstretched hand, but he didn't even twitch to take it. He stared long enough that Cricket let out an awkward laugh, letting his hand fall to the table.

"Yoshi," the knight finally said, his voice soft but stilted, like he had to force the word out.

"Yoshi?" Cricket asked. He dragged his hand back to his side of the table, and into his lap.

Yoshi nodded.

"Well, it's very nice to meet you, Yoshi." Cricket smiled brightly again.

Yoshi didn't return the sentiment; he just sipped his tea.

"So, um...you're from Helio right?" Cricket's own eyes fell to the sun crest sewn with gold thread into the Yoshi's white cloak.

"Yes."

Cricket perked up a little more. He leaned forward to brace his elbows on the table, letting his eyes move over Yoshi quickly. Yoshi had been inspecting him too, why not return the favor? Besides, Cricket needed more information. Knights from Helio didn't just meander around Lunette for the fun of it. Yoshi's cloak was nice, lined in soft fabric, but light enough for the summer months. He had to have left Helio recently then. The sword resting on his hip was well maintained, the grip freshly polished. Combine that with the upright posture, and the steady look Yoshi was giving to a prince...