Javier followed her inside and handed her a box of files he had been carrying for her.

"Thanks Javi."

"You want me to go put these in the office so you don't have to haul them up the stairs?" Javier asked.

"That would be amazing, thank you."

"You got it."

See at least Javier is nice and I know him. He's trustworthy and cares for me, what's the point in replacing him with someone else? With a stranger?

Rubbing the back of her neck, she went to change out of her stuffy work clothes and put on some comfy sweats. Her favorite pair of sweatpants hung low on her hips and probably would have shown the lacy edges of her panties if her t-shirt hadn't been long enough to cover them. Shuffling her tired feet, she made her way upstairs to make sure Javier put the box of files where she needed it when she heard a group of male voices.

I guess seal team six is already here.

Taking extra care, Lainey quieted her steps once she heard her name mentioned. She tried her best to control every muscle in her feet and legs as she made her silent approach and eavesdropped outside the door. She could see Javier and the other men in a reflection through a mirror on the opposite side of the room and tried to remain out of sight as she listened for her name again.

"Eh Lainey's just another job to be honest. Not real easy, but not real hard either. She's a piece of work, but if you're nice to her and keep her happy, Ricardo will throw a little extra money in that pay check." Javier chuckled.

"I'll be sure to keep that in mind." Caleb replied over the chuckles of his teammates.

Lainey's hands balled into fists and she clenched her back teeth trying to suppress the urge to barge into the room and put both men in their places.

I am not a fucking job. I'm a person.

She wished she was more surprised by Javier's betrayal and the knowledge that he was only being nice to her in order to line his own pockets, but she wasn't. That was the type of behavior that Lainey was most accustomed to and expected out of every single person she came in contact with, excluding her immediate family. Being used for her money, status, or relationship with her father was a nonstop occurrence and unfortunately meant the only constant in her life was betrayal.

Mad at herself for considering Javier a friend, and even more mad that the team that her father had hired to protect her seemed to be cut from the same cloth as Javi, Lainey gave herself a quick pep talk before entering the room.

Don't let these assholes get to you Lainey. You deserve to be treated kindly because you're you, not for zeros on a paycheck. Don't let them see you upset.

Taking a few deep breaths to calm her emotions, Lainey re-centered herself, tamping down the emotions that were threatening to emerge in the form of angry tears. She squared her shoulders and entered the room pretending to be unaware of the conversation she'd just over heard.

She bent at the waist to pick up the large box of files to take them to her room when a large pair of muscular arms intervened and lifted the box out of her hands before she could lift it.

"Here let me help." Caleb said.

"It's not that heavy, I can carry it." she countered, straightening her posture and looking up at his handsome face.

"Never said you couldn't, just offering to help." Caleb corrected her lifting his mouth into a half smile that made her want to melt.

Get a hold of yourself Lainey.