I knew it. More security. As if it wasn't bad enough to have only an hour or two to herself without constant supervision, let's take that hour or two and drop it down to nothing...zero freedom...zero independence...zero living. Fan-freaking-tastic.

"Additional security? You cannot be serious. Don't you think that's a little excessive?" Her tone was harsh, but her dad didn't flinch.

"Elaina..."

"Can I speak with you alone for a minute?" She demanded over her shoulder as she turned to leave.

Once the door had firmly closed behind them, Elaina made sure her dad knew exactly how she felt about the additional security.

"Are you kidding me dad? More security? Don't you think that's excessive?" she snapped.

"Not at all. Anything that keeps you safe is not considered excessive, at least not to me."

"But additional security? What's wrong with the security I have now? Javier accompanies me everywhere already, and I am perfectly fine," she countered.

"You're right, Javier is doing a fine job, but he is also sitting out in the lobby or sits in the car and waits on you. That's not enough Elaina, not anymore. These men are military trained professionals."

"Wait just one second. You want one of them to accompany me everywhere? As in, inside the office and inside the house? Literally everywhere now?"

Lainey was fuming at this point. She was not naive and knew there was value in security, but a constant shadow every single place she went including her own home?

Why am I being treated like I am to stupid to live? I am aware of the dangers around me, having a stranger sitting in my office, watching me work isn't going to make me any more safe than a stranger sitting in the lobby, letting me have a small amount of independence.

"Then why not increase Javier's pay and have him babysit me? At least I know him."

She knew she was being a brat, but to hear that she was being stripped of her last shred of independence after such a long shitty day had sent her over the edge. She supported her dad's rise to power as a politician in Colombia, but dammit if she wasn't tired of having to pay the price for it constantly. She was overworked by taking on more at his companies so he could focus on politics and what little "life" she had been living outside of work was now going to be disrupted and taken from her.

"Lainey-Bug this is non negotiable. I know you disagree, but it is happening and you need to accept it. If I had done this for your mother..." his voice trailed and cracked.

Lainey's heart sank at the mention of her mother and her anger toward her father dissolved in an instant as she wrapped her arms around him.

"Okay dad...okay...I get it and I'm sorry. I don't like this, but I won't fight you on it." she conceded, squeezing him tightly.

Deep down she knew the end of that sentence and knew that it was drenched with truth. If her father had hired private security to watch over her mother...she'd still be alive.

"I've got some things to finish up here and I'll be home around seven." she said with a gentle smile before turning to leave.

"You work too hard," he said, grinning at her as she walked away.

"Yeah well my boss is a real jerk." she said, shooting him a wink.

*****

Four hours later Lainey walked up to the steps to her home with papers in one hand and her heels hanging off of her fingers in the other.

What. A. Day.