Chapter Five: Unveiled Shroud

Annabeth went to bed feeling someone content, but still restless. How was she supposed to help if Percy wouldn't open up? It took her a while to actually fall asleep, trying to think of ways to get Percy to open up, but when her eyes finally drifted shut she was out for the night.

She woke to the sounds of the lake crashing up against the shore, though there appeared to be no wind- Which meant Percy was upset. Really upset.

She scrambled for her bedside table, finding the bud and placing it in her ear, nerves on the fritz.

Why can't I just move? This is pathetic. Saved the fucking world but I can't get out of bed because I'm upset. Annabeth's gonna get upset if she finds out I'm not telling her everything. Why is my life like this? Why couldn't I just be a normal kid from Manhattan, going to school and going to the beach with my mom every summer? Why am I even here? Life would be so much easier if I just... Didn't.

Didn't what?

Exist, I don't even know. I'm not supposed to be alive, my dad broke the law by having me- I shouldn't be here.

Don't be dramatic, Jackson. You're just feeling sad. There are other people with much worse issues than what you have.

I know, I know. I just...

Ugh, you're crying. You really are pathetic, aren't you? You don't even have a reason to be sad.

You don't have to have a reason when you're depressed.

Depressed? Bold assumptions there, Jackson. You're fine, stop being a baby and stop crying like a child. 'Saviors' don't cry and don't show emotion. Gotta stand tall, you're the one they look up to. If the leader falls, the army falls with him, so get over yourself. Other people have worse lives than you.

I'm already the 'perfect little hero', I've done my part, can't I get a break? I just want to go to bed and never wake up. I don't want to deal with eating, sleeping, drinking, hygiene. I just want to lay here forever.

You're more pathetic than even I thought. Whatever. Just lie here and die, I don't really care.

Leave me alone, I want to think without you interjecting every ten seconds.

I'm agreeing with you! Temper Temper, Jackson.

Why can't this all just be over? I did everything the gods wanted, played by their rules and followed the ribbons, so where's my happily ever after? Why aren't I happy? I have an amazing girlfriend, incredible friends, a loving family- A family I'll never see again. I'm not getting Estelle wrapped up in all this demigod business, as much as I'd love to meet her and be part of an actual family... That would be selfish of me. Life would be so much easier if I just... Died, I don't know. At least Asphodel seemed livable.

Annabeth jumped out of bed, not bothering to change out of her sleep sweats and t-shirt before rushing outside- Nico was out there too, looking equally panicked. The sun was still rising as they ran towards each other. "Percy-"

"I know-"

"What are we gonna do?"

Annabeth paced back and forth, gnawing at her bottom lip. "Annabeth, relax," Nico soothed, grabbing her shoulders and giving them a gentle squeeze. "You can't think if you're panicking."

What, so you can hurt yourself but not soulless monsters? Hypocrite.

I thought I told you to shut up.

Nico and Annabeth started running for the Poseidon cabin without another word. Annabeth didn't knock, either, she just shoved the door open. Percy jumped, pushing down his sleeves and shifting on the bed slightly.